VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VPC 2004 had support for using physical media.
Ms Virtual PC 2007 has full MS-DOS
compatibility if used with the 2004 machine additions for DOS 6.2x.
It also has 64-Bit host supportb (check the various patches also) and supported shared folders.
On Vista /7 graphics might be slow, though since it still uses Direct Draw.
There's a workaround, though.
Re: Final Reality on Windows 10?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 21 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-06-29, 14:56:

Windows 10 will write some volume information on those DOS drives but not enough to even consider it causing a space issue. I just saw this topic but have already been through all this discovery with my CF 5170 machine when attempting to back it up. Only Win 10 saw the additional partitions and it makes a bit of a mess writing a few hidden files about the volume on each partition but nothing that i've seen that causes problems when the drive is back in its host machine, and certainly not of any size at all.

Another issue not mentioned is the use of 3rd party backup solutions, as far as I can tell there's nothing that will run on windows 10 and make an image of an MSDOS removable drive. So far I've just zipped everything on each disk separately. Either the software wont run on 64bit, or the software doesn't support DOS volumes for backup, or the backup software doesn't like the removable drive...

So If anyone knows some imaging software that might be able to image the entire volume on windows 10 let me know.

Have you tried Acronis TrueImage ? Pretty sure I was able to backup a USB flash drive with it once (not 100% sure whether that was on Windows 10). I know that backing up a multi partition SATA FAT32 drive connected through a USB converter works ( drive does appear under "safely removable" devices, so I imagine that Windows 10 considers it "removable").

Reply 23 of 24, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-06-29, 15:23:

Yes, I use the last version to support XP, True Image 2019, and it will not perform a volume image backup of the CF drive unfortunately.

I am still running 2015 (first version that supports Windows 10). I imagine you are plugging that CF drive into a USB card reader ? Maybe a workaround would be to plug that CF drive into a SATA port using a converter ?

Reply 24 of 24, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-06-29, 15:30:
Shagittarius wrote on 2020-06-29, 15:23:

Yes, I use the last version to support XP, True Image 2019, and it will not perform a volume image backup of the CF drive unfortunately.

I am still running 2015 (first version that supports Windows 10). I imagine you are plugging that CF drive into a USB card reader ? Maybe a workaround would be to plug that CF drive into a SATA port using a converter ?

Yes I was using a USB card reader. I will see if I can get it set up as SATA, thanks for the suggestion.