VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I was thinking which were the latest fastest 30-pin FPM simm built compatible with 386 mainboards and equally the fastest 28-pin cache modules?
In my 386 UMC481/482 board, I've 60ns rams and 15ns cache but I was thinking if faster ones would make some difference and/or just make the system unstable.
Also does the actual access time depends on the chipset so a faster cache/ram would not run at its theorical specification?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

386 can achieve top speed of 40 Mhz. 60ns FPM and 15ns cache can work at such speed with low timings and 0 wait states. But quality of chips may differ, so it's not 100%.

Also does the actual access time depends on the chipset so a faster cache/ram would not run at its theorical specification?

SIMMs and cache don't have any built-in memos like SPD for a motherboard to read.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 6, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-28, 12:19:

386 can achieve top speed of 40 Mhz. 60ns FPM and 15ns cache can work at such speed with low timings and 0 wait states.

So for example 50ns FPM and 12ns cache would need to increase some wait states probably or the chipset would still access those components at its intended maximun like the above? Cause in the bios there'd be no option for that.
(thanks)

Reply 3 of 6, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Long story short: <insert number> ns is just indication of quality, i.e. how fast chip potentially can work. Whether or not motherboard can tap that potential is a different question.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 6, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-28, 12:36:

Long story short: <insert number> ns is just indication of quality, i.e. how fast chip potentially can work. Whether or not motherboard can tap that potential is a different question.

Understood so is up to the mainboard quality/chipset I suppose to eventually benefit from it. I suppose that the difference would anyway be not much. I had a Soyo board that had some more options into the bios to tweak the general speed but in this mobo there's not even the option for it in the AMI bios 1991 dated.

Reply 5 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tiido makes 60ns4mb 30pin simms and 12ns cache so that's an option if you are looking to buy. No fake/rebranded chips, especially cache are new chips still being made.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 6, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2020-06-28, 12:56:

Tiido makes 60ns4mb 30pin simms and 12ns cache so that's an option if you are looking to buy. No fake/rebranded chips, especially cache are new chips still being made.

The four one I've now are 4x 4MB each with two LGS gm71c17400bj6 plus a different module always 60ns and dated 1996, but it's great someone still does this! I might consider some more modules in the future.