VOGONS

First post, by DeadnightWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I have:
- a modern Windows 10 PC with USB keyboard and mouse
- a retro Windows 98 / XP PC with PS/2 keyboard and mouse (currently built around a Via K8M800 motherboard).
Will a USB KVM switch like this Aten CS22U work between the two systems, using only USB peripherals? My main concern is DOS mode, while I believe 98 can handle USB just fine.
I only need keyboard and mouse and won't use the VGA connections, as my display has both HDMI and VGA and I can already easily switch between them.

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 1, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DeadnightWarrior wrote on 2020-06-28, 16:40:
Hi, I have: - a modern Windows 10 PC with USB keyboard and mouse - a retro Windows 98 / XP PC with PS/2 keyboard and mouse (cu […]
Show full quote

Hi,
I have:
- a modern Windows 10 PC with USB keyboard and mouse
- a retro Windows 98 / XP PC with PS/2 keyboard and mouse (currently built around a Via K8M800 motherboard).
Will a USB KVM switch like this Aten CS22U work between the two systems, using only USB peripherals? My main concern is DOS mode, while I believe 98 can handle USB just fine.
I only need keyboard and mouse and won't use the VGA connections, as my display has both HDMI and VGA and I can already easily switch between them.

Thanks!

Whether it will work depends largely on how well your retro machine's BIOS handles emulating legacy devices (PS/2 keyboard and mouse).

Try plugging in A USB keyboard and mouse directly into the retro machine and see what happens .