VOGONS

First post, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Vogons,

This is my first post here, but I have been researching and diving into my first build: a 486 machine! Super excited. I've always been a fan of old DOS pcs.

Anyways.. I have an Aopen / Acer VI15G .

I've looked extensively for an actual PDF or images of the motherboard manual, but I cannot find anyting. There are the jumper settings and specs to be found, thankfully, but I'd love the full manual.

Anyone have it? Or can anyone help me track it down?

Thanks!
Matt

Reply 1 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I looked but did not find a full manual. You are lucky to find jumper settings on many old 486 boards. Maybe someone else can dig deeper and find it though some of the full manuals are lost forever...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 9, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-06-30, 23:43:

I looked but did not find a full manual. You are lucky to find jumper settings on many old 486 boards. Maybe someone else can dig deeper and find it though some of the full manuals are lost forever...

Thanks for checking! Yeah, I am prepared to accept that, but I figure it HAS to exist somewhere. And I know this mobo is a bit known, so hopefully someone turns up with it.

Reply 3 of 9, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mattyice1994 wrote on 2020-07-01, 00:45:
Horun wrote on 2020-06-30, 23:43:

Thanks for checking! Yeah, I am prepared to accept that, but I figure it HAS to exist somewhere. And I know this mobo is a bit known, so hopefully someone turns up with it.

I had a look but I don't seem to have it (was fairly unlikely for me to have the actual paper manual though but was worth a look 😜 )
Only thing I could find was this here:
ftp://ftp.aopen.com/pub/tech/jumper/
The site is (still) up and it has the jumper settings of the VI15G listed there as well along with many other contemporary boards.

The VI15G is kinda an oddball in a way because (afaik all of) these had gold plated SIMM sockets instead of the silvery ones that virtually all newer boards have.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 9, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
I had a look but I don't seem to have it (was fairly unlikely for me to have the actual paper manual though but was worth a look […]
Show full quote

I had a look but I don't seem to have it (was fairly unlikely for me to have the actual paper manual though but was worth a look 😜 )
Only thing I could find was this here:
ftp://ftp.aopen.com/pub/tech/jumper/
The site is (still) up and it has the jumper settings of the VI15G listed there as well along with many other contemporary boards.

The VI15G is kinda an oddball in a way because (afaik all of) these had gold plated SIMM sockets instead of the silvery ones that virtually all newer boards have.

Oh man! Awesome! This is nice to have, saved the file. I'd rather see something directly from Aopen rather than another site, so that is reassuring. And, thanks a million for checking for the paper copy as well!

Reply 5 of 9, by vintageGuy81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tardy to the party, but that AOpen ftp link didn't work for me. I found this:
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … -486-VI15G.html

It has jumper setting info. I needed something to compare against as my turbo button was behaving like a sleep button and want to understand how the turbo button was intended to work on my model.
That discussion is here: Turbo button on 486 acts like a 'sleep' button

Hope you got it working!

Reply 6 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I owned this board over 25 years ago. I got it second hand from a friend of a friend. I am pretty sure either it came with the manual, or I had the PDF manual for it. The board is long gone, but it's possible I might have the pdf manual on one of my burnt CDs from the late 90s. I'll try to have a look. No idea if my current drive can read my old discs. I had no idea this manual was MIA.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 9, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found this somewhere, files dated 1999...has more info than the FTP files..

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 8 of 9, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I checked my old files today. Didn't see any motherboard manuals.
If I stumble across it later I'll post it here later.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 9, by vintageGuy81

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2023-06-01, 05:27:

I checked my old files today. Didn't see any motherboard manuals.
If I stumble across it later I'll post it here later.

Thanks "Coward", appreciate it!