VOGONS

First post, by babtras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not looking for help, I'm just wanting to post this in a Google-indexed place so retro enthusiasts of the future can save some time.

I recently struggled to install FlashFloppy on a Gotek floppy emulator, model SFRC922D. The TTL programmer software would report "Unknown device" when attempting to install FlashFloppy with that method. The LED on the TTL programmer would indicate a fault. If I reversed the rx and tx it would no longer indicate a fault but would still not work correctly.
Attempting the USB method, Windows would play sounds like I was connecting and disconnecting he device repeatedly (device connected, device disconnected, device connected, device disconnected.... even though it was firmly connected all along). It would eventually stop and show a device, but would indicate the device was malfunctioning and would not allow me to install the drivers.

All these issues went away and everything worked correctly, as soon as I disconnected the 2-digit LED display from the Gotek. with the display disconnected I was able to use the TTL programmer and was able to see the device working correctly and install the drivers for the USB method also.

After the FlashFloppy installation was complete, the drive worked correctly with the display connected again. I don't know why my particular Gotek had this issue, but I couldn't find any help online for it and only discovered that disconnecting the LEDs had an effect by chance. So hopefully next time someone has this issue, they'll stumble upon this post.

Reply 1 of 2, by jsp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the post, I am planning to flash my gotek in the next few days so this may come handy.

Cheers!

babtras wrote on 2020-07-02, 16:04:
I'm not looking for help, I'm just wanting to post this in a Google-indexed place so retro enthusiasts of the future can save so […]
Show full quote

I'm not looking for help, I'm just wanting to post this in a Google-indexed place so retro enthusiasts of the future can save some time.

I recently struggled to install FlashFloppy on a Gotek floppy emulator, model SFRC922D. The TTL programmer software would report "Unknown device" when attempting to install FlashFloppy with that method. The LED on the TTL programmer would indicate a fault. If I reversed the rx and tx it would no longer indicate a fault but would still not work correctly.
Attempting the USB method, Windows would play sounds like I was connecting and disconnecting he device repeatedly (device connected, device disconnected, device connected, device disconnected.... even though it was firmly connected all along). It would eventually stop and show a device, but would indicate the device was malfunctioning and would not allow me to install the drivers.

All these issues went away and everything worked correctly, as soon as I disconnected the 2-digit LED display from the Gotek. with the display disconnected I was able to use the TTL programmer and was able to see the device working correctly and install the drivers for the USB method also.

After the FlashFloppy installation was complete, the drive worked correctly with the display connected again. I don't know why my particular Gotek had this issue, but I couldn't find any help online for it and only discovered that disconnecting the LEDs had an effect by chance. So hopefully next time someone has this issue, they'll stumble upon this post.

Reply 2 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd also like to thank you! 😎
My first try (tries) of flashing/using the Gotek was (were) also a bit tricky, so any tip is welcome from my side, too. 😅
Gotek fails floppy drive test

Also, here's the old vogons thread about Flash Floppy..
FlashFloppy, an open source firmware for Gotek drives

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//