VOGONS

First post, by KingDaveRa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a Compaq Presario 1260 laptop I recently picked up. It's a rather nice little unit, if quirky. It's an AMD K6/2 333, got a nice screen, pretty decent inbuilt audio, but it also has 32 MB of PC66 RAM soldered to the motherboard. Unfortunately, the onboard RAM is testing bad around the 30MB mark. I've checked over all sorts of things, and so far I've not found anything obviously wrong.

So I'm wondering what I can do about this hard-wired RAM. I'm planning to run Windows 98SE. I found it wouldn't complete setup until I loaded himem.sys - suddenly it boots and runs, but will occasionally blue screen. It's pot luck if you hit that bad RAM! I had a dig around to see if there was a way to map out bad RAM, but I've not found anything.

Another possible - but high risk - option is to get out the soldering kit and remove/replace the SDRAM modules. I'm assuming that's not going to be simple as all the components constituting the onboard 'dimm' would have to be removed, and/or traces cut. I'm not averse to doing this because it does have a slot for RAM, and I have a 128MB PC66 DIMM, which does check out fine in memory tests.

Failing that, is there something I've missed, like BIOS issues (It's on the latest) or some other silly thing? Or do I just keep an eye open for another 1260 with a smashed screen or something?

Reply 1 of 5, by KingDaveRa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A little followup (of a sort).

I have been doing some digging, and it seems that I should be able to unsolder the DRAMs from the board, and it'll basically work as if a slot of RAM was removed. I need to look a little closer, but I performed a test with an old PC100 DIMM on another motherboard; I removed all the DRAMs from it, and put it into slot 1, then put an identical RAM stick into slot 2, and the PC posted and seemed perfectly happy with this phantom stick of RAM.

So I'm hoping to try at the weekend. I shall be using vast amounts of Kapton tape and some careful hot air. Fingers crossed!

Reply 2 of 5, by KingDaveRa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another update: So for anybody wondering, yes you can unsolder the DRAMs, and it works perfectly fine. It's counting 128MB RAM (from an external SODIMM) and happily ran through memtest86 with no issues. The hot air was good fun, and I ended up blowing away a resistor (although it was actually part of the onboard memory, but I put it back anyway). Ended up using a good amount of flux, solder wick and the iron over the pins, then hot air to finally losen it up and remove it. Went over again with the wick and a good wash down with IPA, and all was good. I only lifted one pad!

So it's now working. If anybody else has this issue, it's worth a try. 😀

On your head be it though. Don't blame me if you murder your device.

Reply 3 of 5, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KingDaveRa wrote on 2020-07-11, 21:16:

Another update: So for anybody wondering, yes you can unsolder the DRAMs, and it works perfectly fine. It's counting 128MB RAM (from an external SODIMM) and happily ran through memtest86 with no issues. The hot air was good fun, and I ended up blowing away a resistor (although it was actually part of the onboard memory, but I put it back anyway). Ended up using a good amount of flux, solder wick and the iron over the pins, then hot air to finally losen it up and remove it. Went over again with the wick and a good wash down with IPA, and all was good. I only lifted one pad!

So it's now working. If anybody else has this issue, it's worth a try. 😀

On your head be it though. Don't blame me if you murder your device.

glad to hear it worked out

Reply 4 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KingDaveRa wrote on 2020-07-11, 21:16:

Another update: So for anybody wondering, yes you can unsolder the DRAMs, and it works perfectly fine. It's counting 128MB RAM (from an external SODIMM) and happily ran through memtest86 with no issues.

Good to hear and Great work !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun