VOGONS

First post, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to hunt down a good AT PSU.

Many of the options I find on Ebay have an attached switch already, but I want to use the switch that is already included in my case I have.

Can the cover of the switch be taken off (the white box), and would it reveal the standard 4 sheathed connectors?

Here's an example:
fuM2XYP.png

Also, I've been primariy trying to find a Delta (or an OEM PSU that is actually a Delta), or an Enermax or Astec.

Any other brand suggestions?

Am I doing the wrong thing by searching for an original AT PSU? I do like the idea of having a truly era-correct build, and I like the idea of restoring a PSU if need be. But, I know many people advocate for the ATX adapter to AT situation.

If I were to go for an ATX PSU, I am concerned that it wouldn't really have been designed with 90's hardware in mind.

Any advice on what I should be looking for, or where to find it would be excellent!

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by Mattyice1994 on 2020-07-05, 02:48. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 9, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-07-05, 02:44:

why would you want to remove the cable from within the psu!?

just swap the switches themselves.

Maybe I explained this bad, my fault. I meant, can you remove the *case* around that little switch. I don't want to remove the cord. Just wondering if that white box thing can be taken off so that I can put the 4 little pins to a different switch?

Most of the PSUs I find have a similar switch already attached, so I wanted to ask people who know better than I before I buy.

Reply 3 of 9, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Normally the AT switch is attached to the power supply cable using spade connections that you can pull off (with some effort sometimes)

Rarely are they soldered in place (and when they are, you can simply unsolder if you need to)

Just be very careful doing this, as it is 120 or 240V live switch, wire it up wrong and you will at best pop a circuit breaker, at worst, fry something (or yourself)

The AT switch is often a standard switch, so I would always try to unscrew the existing switch and replace it with the switch that comes with the power supply before i change them over.

If you want to use an ATX power supply, an older older one with -5V rail is the best option, however, if you avoid ISA cards that need -5V, you can usually get away with a more modern supply without the -5V rail. It is not optimal, but there is usually enough engineering margin in everything that it ends up working fine.

Reply 4 of 9, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, ok, my post is probably a little off.

Your example post is something I've never seen on a PSU before. Normally, the power switch for a PSU is on the end of that black cable, and is attached to the switch with spade connectors. You would just remove the switch by pulling off the spade connectors.

Reply 5 of 9, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I've never seen an AT supply with a detachable switch-cord either.
Is there a particular reason you want to keep the case switch? For example, if it's a rocker switch rather than a pushbutton switch that could be a good reason.
AT cases often came with a power supply included for this reason. The pushbutton switch is fairly standard but not universal.

Reply 6 of 9, by Mattyice1994

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies so far.

Here's a pic of the case + button I want to keep. Yeah Jake, I like the rocker a lot, so if I can find something to use that, it would be great.

Mwrm3JN.jpg

7RMidz1.jpg

The second pic is of the connectors I want to ensure I have. The current PSU I have is an Athena Power one, but I've read a few posts saying they have been suspect and subject to quality control issues. They're pretty damn cheap, and it is VERY light weight.. Don't really want to use it.

Reply 7 of 9, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, those are the spade connectors I was talking about.

Any AT power supply you purchase should be have those spade connectors to hook up your switch. The photo from your OP just doesn't show this though for this particular AT PSU.

Reply 8 of 9, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Mattyice1994, I understamd what you're trying to do but unless I'm mistaken the small white box isn't what you think it is but is in fact ferrite (core) choke like this one I removed from an AcBel PSU from an IBM server.

PSU Ferrite Choke.jpg
Filename
PSU Ferrite Choke.jpg
File size
217.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2020-07-05, 04:17:

@Mattyice1994, I understamd what you're trying to do but unless I'm mistaken the small white box isn't what you think it is but is in fact ferrite (core) choke like this one I removed from an AcBel PSU from an IBM server.

PSU Ferrite Choke.jpg

Looks like it to me, as well.

The existing switch seems to be off screen to the right on the OP. Most likely spade connectors as that's standard.

You'll need a continuity tester to change switches. Both are a ganged DPST switches intended to break line and neutral simultaneously and we need to figure out which pin connects to it's mate when each switch is closed. One set of pins will break neutral and one will break line. You need to transfer wires on each set of pins to a set that also close wrt each other when the switch is on and open when it's off. Get it wrong and you'll generate a dead short across the switch contacts. You will also know if your outlet is a fire hazard as wired.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder