VOGONS

First post, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I've been offered a Compaq LTE 5000" Notebook in very good state (I saw a bunch of pictures, it looks really nice with only a little yellowing and spotless).

- Pentium 75
- 72 MB RAM
- 814 MB hd
- 10,4" 640x480px TFT
- Soundblaster Pro Stereo Sound (ESS 688?)
- QWERTZ Tastatur
- Windows 95
- battery
- CMOS-Battery
- hard drive and enclosure
- floppy disk drive
- Original power thing

- The device boots without problems
- Sound works
- floppy drive works
- keyboard and built in mouse work
- battery and cmos battery seem to work. no BIOS error on bootup, it also boots when no power cord is attached.

The asking price is €250,-.

Now my question is, is it worth it? Are there any caveats that you spot right away?
My goal would be to install a boot manager and have it be useable as a DOS gaming rig, mostly (and for some early Windows 95 games).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 1 of 5, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only caveat i see is the price...
You could get a Compaq Armada 1590 series foror a Toshiba Tecra 500cdt for example, and from the prices i see, for way cheaper than the LTE 5000.

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 2 of 5, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Isn't the floppy drive also prone to failure over time ?
If it uses a rubber belt, even though it works now, it won't work anymore in a couple of years and it's going to be a nightmare to fix ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 5, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice coincidence, I just tested a 5150 I've kept in storage for a few years. The build quality on these machines is good, the screen (11,3" - 800*600 on mine) gives a crisp image. I suppose the screen quality also depends on how heavily the system was (ab)used.
I have the same HDD, but far less ram. Nevertheless, Win95 runs smooth on this machine. Don't mind the CMOS or battery, it runs perfectly on the adapter.

250 is a steep price, I wouldn't be surprised you'd be able to find alternatives for a far cheaper price at flea markets in German towns. Still, I'm not into laptops, so I'm not sure about the going rate of these machines.

Reply 4 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks all. The price was indeed why I was hesitant but he won't budge so...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper