VOGONS

First post, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The chip in question is a Trident Cyber 9525DVD from a Toshiba Satellite 4080XCDT Laptop. The chip itself is a 3D capable chip yet some games that I throw on it claim that it doesn't support 3D hardware acceleration, while other games run on it fine (albeit with single digit framerate). I know that some GPUs have their own API like the 3dfx glide and that, so I figure that Trident probably has one too but I can't find *anything* related to that. I'd really like to find some 3D games that run on this thing, yet so far the only game that detects it as a 3D-capable gpu is Urban Asssault.

Here's the laptop in question https://support.dynabook.com/support/staticCo … omTOCLink=false

If someone has any information about this chip and it's API I'd be grateful.

Trident Cyber 9525DVD Test, Review and supported games list

Reply 1 of 7, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had this laptop. Could never make any 3D-accelerated game run on it. It was rather slow even in 2D, e.g. Caesar III was slower than on my Pentium 233 MMX with an S3 video card and it was definitely the GPU's fault.

Reply 2 of 7, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See this thread - 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
If there's nothing about Trident 3D API there, then such API most likely doesn't exist.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 3 of 7, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-07-05, 18:10:

I had this laptop. Could never make any 3D-accelerated game run on it. It was rather slow even in 2D, e.g. Caesar III was slower than on my Pentium 233 MMX with an S3 video card and it was definitely the GPU's fault.

Do you remember by any chance which games you tried? I managed to run Urban Assault and MechWarrior 3 with "Hardware acceleration" on this chip, fps was in single digits but picture quality was kinda okay actually, no artifacts etc.

Reply 4 of 7, by Vany

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2020-07-05, 18:15:

See this thread - 3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
If there's nothing about Trident 3D API there, then such API most likely doesn't exist.

Yeah, I checked that list, I know there's nothing but considering how little I found about this specific chip on google I thought it was worth asking here for more information. Even the most pathetic 3D Accelerator has some games that shine on it - that's what I'm trying to find for this one too :p

Reply 5 of 7, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there’s two issues:

1) Drivers seem really bad. Lots of rendering issues.

2) 2.5 mb video ram. I can’t imagine it running anything well at >320x240.

I would try some of the earliest directx games.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 6 of 7, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd try like Turok, Jedi Knight or Shadows of the Empire, and see what the D3D Tunnel Test does.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1498

I've played with some of the Trident 3DImage chips and they were not so hot. They are basically unfinished/broken 3D renderers. My guess is that is the 3D capability you have there. The later Trident Blade3D on the other hand is pretty solid, similar to say Matrox G200 or S3 Savage3D.

Reply 7 of 7, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vany wrote on 2020-07-05, 18:28:
ShovelKnight wrote on 2020-07-05, 18:10:

Do you remember by any chance which games you tried? I managed to run Urban Assault and MechWarrior 3 with "Hardware acceleration" on this chip, fps was in single digits but picture quality was kinda okay actually, no artifacts etc.

It was a long time ago 🙁 One game I remember distinctly was NFS III: Hot Pursuit.