VOGONS

First post, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 386DX-33 computer with an interesting motherboard. It has an ISA-like slot under the RAM slots, but otherwise just looks like a normal 386 board: AT keyboard connector, sockets only for a 386 and 387 (no 486 socket), 8 RAM slots. The board has a sticker saying "TM 34" with presumably some kind of production number, and a stamping saying "VIP M318P1 TAM/33-P1", and when you boot the machine there's a line saying "AUVA TAM/33". Any idea what this board is, and what that slot does? I've heard those are for some kind of RAM expansion.

EcQrOiIX0AA4Z1P?format=jpg&name=large

EcQrP7FXsAELMnf?format=jpg&name=large

EcQrQjZWAAM0Qx5?format=jpg&name=large

Reply 1 of 10, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if you have a complete, unobstructed picture of your motherboard, you could match it with the pictures on Total Hardware 99 to ID it. With the limited view, it seems to match this one.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 2 of 10, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one is really, really close, but is a completely different model number than the information printed on my board.

https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/C-D/30997.htm

Reply 4 of 10, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Model number and manufacturer printed on the board don't really matter that much, as during that era the lower tier manufacturers might have the same OEM manufacturer and just relabeling the same board. What matter most are the locations of slots, RAM, BIOS, chipsets, CPU/FPU, cache, keyboard chip, AT power connectors, and jumpers must match and they are most probably identical.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 5 of 10, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you're right it's for a RAM expansion, unfortunately those were not standardized at all and unless you can lay hands on the exact one for that board it's probably just a useless slot now

Reply 7 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I feel that this board might also be identical to Shuttle HOT 307.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 10, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
evasive wrote on 2020-07-07, 06:52:

I'd go for this: https://th99.bl4ckb0x.de/m/A-B/30751.htm
Because that is the exact model number.

That's definitely it! Nice to know it supports 32MB RAM and 256K cache, I wanted to go up from the current 8MB to 16MB.

Reply 10 of 10, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it possible to shoot a picture of the mobo with nothing in the way please ? 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative