VOGONS

First post, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

I've got a mainboard I didn't find a way to get a video signal even if it boot and I opened a thread time ago on it ( Another 486 board identification/debug help ). I'm not creating this as a double thread but more as focusing on the opportunity to flash any Amibios 28-pin old style (in this case a MX 27C512DC-15 with VPP=12,5V) where I would need to try downloading or flashing some similar bios from other boards to a new 28-pin eeprom. Considering most software seems to not work with such old eeprom/mainboard and I can't even boot it (the board is powered, psu run, everything warm up, no signal) should I need to buy an external flasher, is the only way or I can use a modern larger eeprom socket to try flash something?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Afaik there is no motherboard that can program UV EPROM on board, so you'll need an external programmer. But I think the problem is not with the EPROM, but most likely jumpers issue.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 2 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kalohimal wrote on 2020-07-08, 12:19:

Afaik there is no motherboard that can program UV EPROM on board, so you'll need an external programmer. But I think the problem is not with the EPROM, but most likely jumpers issue.

I was thinking it too but I've seen an ebay auction of the same mainboard sold with a Dx2-66 and I checked in that photo each single jumper and they were exactly as I found it... in fact I too was thinking that usually bios doesn loose the data that easily but it happened on some mobo that the eeprom was gone recently on a socket 7 one that had one that could not be flashed in some internal area. But at least it had the ISA boot recovery option still alive..
Maybe it's cheaper to buy an ISA debug card than a flashing kit..

Reply 5 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen that these UV eprom are sold on ebay already erased but the flasher may be expensive.. I remember reading also that something could be checked with the multimeter to see if the cpu/bios is starting or something.
I've the PCI post card unfortunately when I bought it I didn't think to the ISA possibility..

Reply 6 of 9, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine is this version, nice thing is it has a speaker on board so you could just connect the speaker output to it. I have another "smart" post card with an LCD display which would interpret the code for you but unfortunately it's PCI only.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 7 of 9, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just bought a flasher and a few blank EPROM chips expecting to need to put an LBA BIOS on a 486 motherboard I just bought, only for it to arrive and already have that updated BIOS on it.
OP, is there a particular 64kilobyte image you're looking for? Maybe you can give me a use for it.

Reply 8 of 9, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jakethompson1 wrote on 2020-07-08, 21:28:

I just bought a flasher and a few blank EPROM chips expecting to need to put an LBA BIOS on a 486 motherboard I just bought, only for it to arrive and already have that updated BIOS on it.
OP, is there a particular 64kilobyte image you're looking for? Maybe you can give me a use for it.

Unfortunately I didn't find a bios for the mainboard of the first post linked thread so I've not yet found a compatible one. While I've found a similar not equivalent Acer bios board having the same eprom type and similar config

==== 4alm002.zip ========================================
Name: ???
Revision: REV 1.0
CPU/FPU: 486 (in LIF socket)
Chipset: ALi M1429, M1431
ICs: IS61C256AH-20N (9), SC425APB, JETkey V5.0
Memory: SIMM-30 (8)
Exp. slots: ISA-8 (1), ISA-16 (3), VLB (3)
Id string: ???
BIOS: AMI
ROM: M27C512-15XFI (64k)
File: 4alm002.bin

but sure is not its own cause from the bios name I found it should be an Acer board beside having similar config. I wish I'd find the exact bios to exclude is a bios problem and not something else that can't make any video signal out of it.

Reply 9 of 9, by squelch41

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you need to burn a bios rom, you could build yourself a tommyprom and can swap the uveprom for a pin compatible eeprom.
they are cheap to make

https://github.com/TomNisbet/TommyPROM

V4P895P3 VLB Motherboard AMD 486 133MHz
64mb RAM, CF 4Gb HDD,
Realtek 8019 ethernet + XT-IDE bios ROM, ES1869 soundcard, VLB Cirrus Logic GD5428 1mb VGA

440bx MSI 6119, modified slocket , Tualitin Celeron 1.2Ghz 256mb SD-RAM, CF 4GB HDD, FX5200 gfx