VOGONS

First post, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you guys have any preferred off-brand for aftermarket batteries for old laptops? I like to grab old Thinkpads and similar machines off Ebay sometimes, and usually the batteries are totally fried or gone altogether. Of course, the OEM batteries on ebay are usually quite expensive.. but even then they are so old that even if unused I feel like they wont have great life. Are there any affordable, aftermarket brands that make batteries that are worth buying? I have had awful luck with random no name Chinese batteries... usually getting really hot or having awful life. At the same time, I dont want to spend more on a battery than the laptop itself 😀

Reply 1 of 3, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the battery format is out of production, your best option may be buying loose cells yourself and soldering them into the old pack. Typically what you can buy is far better than what you get with those Chinese crap batteries; and that is where you decide how much to spend. I would be conservative and not spend too much. You will probably still end up with a longer lasting battery than OEM.

And as far as batteries go, you may not have the option, but if you can limit charges to an amount, like 80%, and discharges, say 25% capacity, it'll last a lot longer. I couldn't do that on my old system though. It was against the LAW.

Reply 2 of 3, by solidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hwh wrote on 2020-07-08, 21:27:

If the battery format is out of production, your best option may be buying loose cells yourself and soldering them into the old pack. Typically what you can buy is far better than what you get with those Chinese crap batteries; and that is where you decide how much to spend. I would be conservative and not spend too much. You will probably still end up with a longer lasting battery than OEM.

And as far as batteries go, you may not have the option, but if you can limit charges to an amount, like 80%, and discharges, say 25% capacity, it'll last a lot longer. I couldn't do that on my old system though. It was against the LAW.

Wow, I didnt even know that was possible 😀 Thats really interesting. The current laptop I have didnt even come with a battery so Ill have to find something for now. But I definitely will look further into this.

Reply 3 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you can find NOS batteries they should be just fine as long as they aren't NICAD. Not sure about NIMH.. but anything Lithium based should be just fine.

As for aftermarket ones... just do a search on Amazon or whatever. Then look at the reviews. The thing about the aftermarket batteries from what I have seen as of late are that they are all pretty much the same exact batteries but with different brands selling them.

If you can find one that specifically states that the cells are made in Japan or USA then you should be better off than with the super cheapo ones made in China.... though pretty much all OEM cells are going to be made in China as far as I know.... At least for Dell. Not 100% sure about other brands.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK