VOGONS

First post, by matti46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Gotek with FlashFloppy 3.13a. I configured it to work in IBM PC mode. So I switched drive id to DF1 and put jumper to JC. It reads the first disk fine. But when I change disk and run DIR command again it just shows the previous info again. Any idea what could cause the problem?

System is Intel DX4 100MHz, 8 megs of RAM. Running MS-DOS 6.22.

Current Projects:
1: Gigabyte GA-6VX7B-4X - Intel Pentium III 1000EB - 256 mb PC-133 SDRAM - 3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
2: M-tech R418W2 - Intel DX4-100 - 8 mb RAM - Cirrus Logic CL-GD5446BV - Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 16S

Reply 1 of 5, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like the disk change detection isn't actually kicking in and what is happening is that the DIR is showing the directory read that is in the cache. What happens if you try and copy a file to the new parition? If that works, what does the DIR show after that I wonder?

BTW I've seen the exact same behavior using an actual USB to Floppy disk drive in my more modern computers. Even though I physically removed a disk and put a new one in, the drive didn't spin up as if it didn't notice this. I would have to do something to physically cause it to re-read the disk drive before it would show me the correct stuff. Usually I could just do a forced refresh on the drive. But I'm talking about when using Windows here, but I would see the same thing when using a command prompt. So again it sounds similar to what you are describing?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 3 of 5, by TheChosenG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-09, 19:16:

Control+C

Re-jumper the Gotek emulator again to enable disk change feature.

Cheers,

I still can't get the PC to read another disk on the Gotek. Always the same DIR as OP said.

Could you please explain more?

Replace the jumpers in the same place whilst the PC is still on? Or place them differently? If different, where?

Thank you.

Reply 4 of 5, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dir B:
dir A:
usually clears the cache, but yes, there is a pin responsible for disk change signal, its different between amiga/apple/pc so Im sure gotek has a way of configuring it

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 5, by TheChosenG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-04-05, 06:39:

dir B:
dir A:
usually clears the cache, but yes, there is a pin responsible for disk change signal, its different between amiga/apple/pc so Im sure gotek has a way of configuring it

This works. Thanks a lot! 😁

Edit: well, it kinda works. It still doesn't clear the cache in A: but at least I can access another disk on B:
Bridging other pins does nothing.

Edit 2: I fixed it on my Toshiba 5200 by making a proper cable like this

download/file.php?id=42585&mode=view

Thread: Toshiba T5200 mods and upgrades
IanB my hero.