VOGONS

First post, by Marentis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I recently got a PC Chips 599 mlr and equipped it with the following:
CPU: Pentium MMX 233
RAM: 128 MB SD RAM (I also tried with 32MB RAM)
GPU: onboard
Now, don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely aware that an onboard GPU wouldn't perform extremely well,
that was never my expectation.
But I noticed some performance issues while installing Windows 98SE and dxdiag
and other sys information tools were showing the CPU reported at 166 MHz.
Speedsys also rated the CPU performance at around a Pentium 133.
The standard quake timedemo in 320x200 runs at an average 32 fps, which is roughly in the
ball park of a Pentium 133.
I double and triple checked the bios settings and the CPU is definitely set to 233 MHz
via an FSB of 66 and a multiplier of 3.5x and internal and external caches are activated.

I used the same RAM and CPU on one of my other SS7 boards, this time an Asus P5A-B
and everything's working just fine.

I thought about fake caches but then I would expect performance to be even worse
and disabling external caches did slow down things further.

So, this is not really a big deal to me because I have many different SS7 boards but I'm
really curious as to what is happening.
If it was only about Quake I would place my bet on some issues with the onboard GPU
but given that the reported frequency and computational throughput is reported lower
in various applications I have become very curious as to what is going on.

Reply 1 of 5, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You should be able to tell from SpeedSys's memory test if the cache is fake.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 5, by Marentis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good point I just did that and the cache seems genuine (512 KB @ 74.37 MB/s).
I now installed a Pentium 90 and that one is shown correctly in Speedsys and the rated speed
seems to be fine, too.
I'll now test with a Pentium 133 I have at hand.

Reply 5 of 5, by Marentis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for bringing this old topic back to life again but this might help others: I had flashed the latest available BIOS for that board (2K0930s) because I wanted to test
how it would work with an AMD K6-2+. As I used a Pentium 133 to do the flash I did a quick dosbench run and noticed that the board now performs just as expected, even with a 66 MHz FSB clock.
So if somebody else has strange performance issues he/she probably might give that a try, too.