VOGONS

First post, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Looking for a s370 motherboard in micro atx size with agp, pci and isa slot.
Any good recommendations? Is it exist at all?
Can go for slot1 as well if that helps.
Cheers

Reply 1 of 9, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only have one micro-ATX S370 board, unfortunately it doesn't have any ISA slots.
However, I've recently played with the Slot 1 Shuttle HOT-675, and it's an awesome board!
- it supports P3 Coppermine CPUs (tested it with a Coppermine 700 MHz overclocked to 933 MHz just by increasing the FSB to 133).
- 1 AGP / 2 PCI / 2 ISA
- very stable - tested it for one week and had absolutely no issues with it (which is normal for 440BX).

I highly recommend it, but not sure how easy it is to find.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 2 of 9, by MKT_Gundam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine is a Cuv4x with 1 ISA slot. Some version dont have.
The AGP implementation is not good but using a pci or a AGP voodoo card, no problems.
Using with a VIA c3 800mhz as alternative for a AMD K6-2/3+.

Retro rig 1: Asus CUV4X, VIA c3 800, Voodoo Banshee (Diamond fusion) and SB32 ct3670.
Retro rig 2: Intel DX2 66, SB16 Ct1740 and Cirrus Logic VLB.

Reply 3 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This question comes by quite frequently. There are so many options you really need to be more specific.

Which FSB speeds?
Which chipset?
Which CPU support?

The combination with ISA is more common with ZX/BX chipsets (and be careful, also some EX/LX), but that means max 100MHz FSB without OC and AGP 1.0.
There are certainly Via 694X (and even the odd 694T) boards with ISA, but then you get the worse clock-for-clock performance and southbridge fun of that solution.

Real unobtanium: uATX board with i815 chipset and ISA.

Finally, there are the "avoid like the plague" boards, which includes everything with SiS 5600, Via ApolloPro+ and Via ApolloPro133 chipsets as they are slow as hell and generally really low-end designs.

If you really want a suggestion, take a look as the Asus P2B-VM. It ticks all the boxes, with an added bonus: onboard low-end VGA, but connected to PCI, not AGP, so you have the option of ignoring it and adding AGP - or indeed doing dual-monitor with it and an AGP card if the need arises.

Reply 4 of 9, by hejluxom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2020-07-12, 11:12:
This question comes by quite frequently. There are so many options you really need to be more specific. […]
Show full quote

This question comes by quite frequently. There are so many options you really need to be more specific.

Which FSB speeds?
Which chipset?
Which CPU support?

The combination with ISA is more common with ZX/BX chipsets (and be careful, also some EX/LX), but that means max 100MHz FSB without OC and AGP 1.0.
There are certainly Via 694X (and even the odd 694T) boards with ISA, but then you get the worse clock-for-clock performance and southbridge fun of that solution.

Real unobtanium: uATX board with i815 chipset and ISA.

Finally, there are the "avoid like the plague" boards, which includes everything with SiS 5600, Via ApolloPro+ and Via ApolloPro133 chipsets as they are slow as hell and generally really low-end designs.

If you really want a suggestion, take a look as the Asus P2B-VM. It ticks all the boxes, with an added bonus: onboard low-end VGA, but connected to PCI, not AGP, so you have the option of ignoring it and adding AGP - or indeed doing dual-monitor with it and an AGP card if the need arises.

I have both slot1 and socket 370 1ghz Intel Pentium cpu. I guess that put fsb to 133.
No special requirements on the chipset, and if I have to skip one thickbox, probably agp would be the first, and I'll go with a pci graphic card (gf mx440) and isa sound. And voodoo 2 on as extra.

Reply 6 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hejluxom wrote on 2020-07-12, 12:59:

[...]

I have both slot1 and socket 370 1ghz Intel Pentium cpu. I guess that put fsb to 133.
No special requirements on the chipset, and if I have to skip one thickbox, probably agp would be the first, and I'll go with a pci graphic card (gf mx440) and isa sound. And voodoo 2 on as extra.

That combination doesn't really make sense. Voodoo2 is a Windows 98 device, and under Win98 there's no need for ISA sound. ISA sound is DOS and basically there's no DOS support for Voodoo2.

hejluxom wrote on 2020-07-12, 13:02:

Asus p2b-VM looks good, but bloody expensive as well. 😅

That's part of the reason why it's fairly pointless to approach this stuff from this way round: availability at acceptable prices is low. I'd suggest to do it the other way round: look for boards and see if they are suitable. 133MHz FSB means de facto no Intel chipset boards with ISA, so you're looking for any uATX with Via 694X (or if you really don't care about performance: 693A) and an ISA slot.

Now, on eBay almost anything is going to be excessively expensive, so I'd recommend just keeping a keen eye out locally for whatever you find.

If you don't have the patience for that, it's going to get pricey in any event. Cheapest I can see on eBay at the moment that meets your requirements other than AGP is an oddball - search for "GFXPRO". It's a PC Chips motherboard with the ALi AladdinTNT2Pro chipset, which - as the name suggests - contains a TNT2Pro. It's the best performing integrated VGA for So370, but as it only has single-channel memory, both CPU and VGA are memory-starved when gaming, so not marvellous.

Reply 7 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2020-07-12, 15:50:
That combination doesn't really make sense. Voodoo2 is a Windows 98 device, and under Win98 there's no need for ISA sound. ISA s […]
Show full quote
hejluxom wrote on 2020-07-12, 12:59:

[...]

That combination doesn't really make sense. Voodoo2 is a Windows 98 device, and under Win98 there's no need for ISA sound. ISA sound is DOS and basically there's no DOS support for Voodoo2.

hejluxom wrote on 2020-07-12, 13:02:

Asus p2b-VM looks good, but bloody expensive as well. 😅

That's part of the reason why it's fairly pointless to approach this stuff from this way round: availability at acceptable prices is low. I'd suggest to do it the other way round: look for boards and see if they are suitable. 133MHz FSB means de facto no Intel chipset boards with ISA, so you're looking for any uATX with Via 694X (or if you really don't care about performance: 693A) and an ISA slot.

Now, on eBay almost anything is going to be excessively expensive, so I'd recommend just keeping a keen eye out locally for whatever you find.

If you don't have the patience for that, it's going to get pricey in any event. Cheapest I can see on eBay at the moment that meets your requirements other than AGP is an oddball - search for "GFXPRO". It's a PC Chips motherboard with the ALi AladdinTNT2Pro chipset, which - as the name suggests - contains a TNT2Pro. It's the best performing integrated VGA for So370, but as it only has single-channel memory, both CPU and VGA are memory-starved when gaming, so not marvellous.

If a machine gets used for both DOS and Windows 9x , an ISA sound card makes sense . And the Voodoo2 may not get much use under DOS (some software definitely can use it), it won't hurt to have it there either . With setmul, even a fast P3 can be slowed down to early 90s speeds, so DOS is definitely possible .