VOGONS

First post, by The Pretender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, i have a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP and he are installed on Asrock M266A, according this site http://www.pcgameshardware.de/3dfx-Voodoo-Har … Special-1246582( this Motherboard is fully compatible.

I have a problem: My V5 don't work with dual chip. I receive the imagem bellow where i start everything 3D game (Glide, OGL or D3D, inclusive in DXDIAG test). If i configure to use some one chip, all start correctly.

voodoo_error.jpeg
Filename
voodoo_error.jpeg
File size
133.92 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I find a damaged capacitor (470uF), probably was damaged on transport. Yours pad have been broken, and i replace then (provisionally ) by one PTH capacitor of same value.

damaged_cap.jpg
Filename
damaged_cap.jpg
File size
298.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

A curious behavior in input power rail is this ripple. I found this ripple on 5V and 12V, and this appear even i connect my bench powersupply... This ripple is normal? For me, is no normal and suggest another broken capacitor...

Ripple_5V.jpg
Filename
Ripple_5V.jpg
File size
272.5 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The voltage signal after filter step on diodes located at the botton of the PCB are FLAT in 3.02V.

VGA.jpg
Filename
VGA.jpg
File size
368.42 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Do I have a damaged VSA100?

I have tested with Windows 98 and Raziel Driver and the last 3dfx oficial driver. The problem also occurs in WinXP with Amigamerlin and SFFT last drivers.
Does anyone have a schematic for maintaining this board?

Reply 2 of 16, by The Pretender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-07-12, 18:12:

Probably bad ram chip. Each vsa100 has it's own ram.

Any way to find which memory is defective?
Can you tell which set is considered the "second chip" that is disabled when triggering the "single chip" mode? With this information i would replace something the VSA and memory of second set.

Reply 5 of 16, by The Pretender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-07-12, 19:20:

Easy - play games using single chip mode and see which one gets hotter using the finger test.

Good idea, or using a infrared thermometer!

On ebay there is a new VSA100 to buy. Is that reliable? Where do they get these pieces from?
I think about buying two or three to keep stored here, it would be interesting to buy memory modules already, but the exact memory chip adopted in my V5 is not available. Is there a substitute (suddenly even higher clock support)?

Reply 6 of 16, by The Pretender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another information about compatible RAM modules?

My V5 5500 AGP have a Toshiba TC59S6432CFT-60 , but, this component are discontinuated and is not available.
Some cards have a HYUNDAI HY57V653220BTC-60, and this is very dificult to found on ebay, and is very overpriced.
My V4 4500 have a SAMSUNG K4S643232C-TC60, but, i not located this to buy.

I'm looking for a compatible list of SDRAM memory, but i not located...

Reply 7 of 16, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Pretender wrote on 2020-07-13, 21:56:
Another information about compatible RAM modules? […]
Show full quote

Another information about compatible RAM modules?

My V5 5500 AGP have a Toshiba TC59S6432CFT-60 , but, this component are discontinuated and is not available.
Some cards have a HYUNDAI HY57V653220BTC-60, and this is very dificult to found on ebay, and is very overpriced.
My V4 4500 have a SAMSUNG K4S643232C-TC60, but, i not located this to buy.

I'm looking for a compatible list of SDRAM memory, but i not located...

Maybe if compatible chips were used on SDRAM DIMMs, the said chips could be harvested .

EDIT: Not going to find many SDRAM DIMMs at 166MHz , sorry

Reply 8 of 16, by The Pretender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One question I have is whether this problem is really not an AGP incompatibility of the ASROCK M266A. If the V5 starts and works well on a single chip, it should theoretically work correctly in dual chip mode, right?

I ask this because I would not like to have the VSA changed and the problem is some incompatibility.

Reply 9 of 16, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have dead/malfunctioning VSA100 or/and memory on slave chip, which ins't active in 2D. Probably related to missing cap, but could be two separate issues.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 10 of 16, by The Pretender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-14, 00:46:

You have dead/malfunctioning VSA100 or/and memory on slave chip, which ins't active in 2D. Probably related to missing cap, but could be two separate issues.

Huuumm, ok, i buyed 3 VSA100 on ebay to total replacement (2 for replace and 1 for reserv). I don't beliave in memory damage, normaly this type of defect (memory) some presents artifacts, but the system works. In my case, the computer no responds.

A bad power supply may be caused this problem? My power supply is no realy reliable.

Reply 12 of 16, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you check to make sure the legs of the vsa100 chip are bent and touching each other. You can also give the board a good look over and see if there are and cold/broken solder points.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-07-15, 01:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 16, by The Pretender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2020-07-14, 13:22:

Do you really have the skills / equipment to reseat a vsa100? You make it sound easy, it is anything but.

No, I am looking for companies that do this type of repair.

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-07-14, 13:41:

Did you check to make sure the legs of the vsa100 chip are bent and touching each other. You can also give the board a good look over and see if there are and cold/broken solder points.

I did what is possible in terms of eye checking without equipment and found nothing (other than the capacitor, of course). Locate a cold solder point in BGA CI is more dificult and the solution for this is to make a reflow on aproprieted machine (that i don't have access).

Reply 14 of 16, by The Pretender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, updating this post for future users do have the same problem.

I replace the system PoweSupply and the 470uF and 100uF capacitor stayed at power-input stage. The observed ripple are solved after the capacitor replacement but the initial problem continues.

After changing the capacitors, I left the card in a specialized BGA repair service for a reflow of the VSA100 slave. I read several posts hear (on VOGONS) of Voodoo 5 with problems in the BGA soldering of the VSA100 slave and that presented the same error (locking in 3D environment in DualGPU mode) ...

After receiving VOODOO5 and testing, disappointment came: The problem got worse. Now the V5 is strange. Apparently, the image are not completly rendered. Some parts of menus are not visible, but, I don't have any artifacts on screen.

For example: In the BIOS, when I open a MENU, the menu is drawn but its interior is gray.

After this, I have installed an Windows XP and have observed more clearly the behavior of the V5. Without drivers, I are able to select 16/32bits color deph, but, the brightness are excessive... After I install the driver, the system try to start the graphics card and fail. I see a blackscreen, but, the blackscreen is blinking, like the system is trying to start the graphics ambient and are not able.

This could be caused by a lack of internal powersupply of my V5? The excessive brightness can be explained by a power reference error as used by VGA converter step.

Reply 16 of 16, by The Pretender

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-08-11, 18:55:

Are you saying you don't have the card plugged into your power supply?

No, the Voodoo 5 stay plugged into computer power supply, but, the card have your internal power supply composed by a DualPhase SetpDown provided by Linear... This make an internal power supply (internal on Voodoo 5). This internal PowerSupply provide a stable voltage line used by VSA100 and the others components... I beliave this internal powersupply are damaged (a capacitor with low capacitance, for example)...

More testes are necessary, but I don't have ideas who i need to test. Without a schematics and "test points" with signal anotations (and voltages levels) is complicated to diagnose anything.

I'm sorry for my bad English. 🤣