VOGONS

First post, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted to connect external keyboard to my 30-year old Toshiba T3200SXC, and this is what I see. Would you break it, or not? 😉

Attachments

• toshibacover1.jpg
    Filename
    toshibacover1.jpg
    File size
    164.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by adalbert on 2020-07-13, 18:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 1 of 28, by Marentis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Depends. If it's an item I just wanted to collect for historical or other reasons then no, I wouldn't break it.
If it's an item I actually want to use because I enjoy using it I would definitely break it, if that lead to more enjoyment.

Reply 5 of 28, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there is a connector, AND you are going to use the external keyboard a lot, then it would be ok to break out the cover I guess. Then again, why would it be there covering a useful connector?

If there is no connector but you've got the skills to solder one (and everything that may be needed to get it to work), it's just a great little adventure to get it to work 😀

If this ones is already modified a lot (ram upgrade, CF/SSD, hotel), it may be ok, since it's already been tugged into the 21st century.

If you're not going to use the the laptop much, or at least the external connector, and the existing keyboard works fine... I'd skip it. That would keep its original condition (and value).
On the other hand I don't think it would lose much value on this... It's not like you're going to put a Ryzen and 2080 in that would not be worth a single penny in 10 years from now 😉

Looking at my IBM model 30 systems: one is mint, even with all the ISA slots having their plastic caps (also breakable) and another has them removed, to add VGA and play around with other cards. No regrets as it's just a machine for fun.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 6 of 28, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

the manufacturer would have punched it out themselves if there was a connector there, it was probably an optional feature

(unless of course it was a just a QC failure or something)

Reply 7 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2020-07-13, 14:58:

the manufacturer would have punched it out themselves if there was a connector there, it was probably an optional feature

(unless of course it was a just a QC failure or something)

a quick google search led me to a page advising to remove the plastic if you want to connect an external keyboard, and lists the T3200SXC... though I couldn't find if this was definitely true for all of them, so before cutting anything out I would definitely check.

Reply 8 of 28, by johnnycontrario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Can you safely disassemble the computer to verify the connector is installed? That's the first thing I would try before cutting it up. If possible, I would test the keyboard port with the case off, though I doubt Toshiba would have gone through the trouble of populating a non-functioning connector.

Reply 9 of 28, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-07-13, 10:46:

the first question to answer would be... is there even a connector behind it? ^^

Thanks for the answers, yes, there is a connector (photo attached), maybe I should stated that in the post 😀

waterbeesje wrote on 2020-07-13, 14:57:

If this ones is already modified a lot (ram upgrade, CF/SSD, hotel), it may be ok, since it's already been tugged into the 21st century.

I did a lot of modifications but only internally. Installed DIP RAM sockets, speakers, new battery, new industrial LCD panel with 18 to 9 bit signal converter so it works with that motherboard, redesigned the power supply (replaced the internal AC/DC board with custom DC to DC circuit; every capacitor in old PSU leaked and entire PCB was black).
But the the only modification I did to the external enclosure so far, was removing 230V AC connector and replacing it with 3d printed DC jack adapter plate (attached photo). Everything else is indistinguishable from the original.

I will probably not poke the hole at the moment, but maybe this thread should be an "ethical/moral" debate - should vintage hardware be treated with special care or not, what is allowed and what shouldn't be, are the internals or externals more important, when an antique stops to be an antique, am I the owner of the machine or is it cultural heritage 😉

But if I poke the hole - should I keep the plastic piece or throw it away, should I glue it to the case later etc., all of there are open questions, maybe you have similar thoughts when working with another hardware 😀

Attachments

• psu3.jpg
    Filename
    psu3.jpg
    File size
    116.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0
  • IMAG2308.jpg
    Filename
    IMAG2308.jpg
    File size
    209.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 10 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you could build a thin custom connector (looks like there is a sliver of space between the plastic shell and the connector and route the cable to the back onto your 3D printed panel and add a keyboard connector on there.

Reply 11 of 28, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

if there is a DIN back there that is just arbitrarily blocked by that stupid plastic I would not hesitate to remove the plastic

because it is just stupid, and should have never been there

Reply 12 of 28, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They way I see it there is nothing wrong removing a plastic cover that could have been removed the first day this pc was bought. I mean it doesn't change anything about the PC's authenticity, unless it was some new-in-box item, then yes it does make a difference.

Reply 13 of 28, by johnnycontrario

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
adalbert wrote on 2020-07-13, 18:22:

I did a lot of modifications but only internally. Installed DIP RAM sockets, speakers, new battery, new industrial LCD panel with 18 to 9 bit signal converter so it works with that motherboard, redesigned the power supply (replaced the internal AC/DC board with custom DC to DC circuit; every capacitor in old PSU leaked and entire PCB was black).
But the the only modification I did to the external enclosure so far, was removing 230V AC connector and replacing it with 3d printed DC jack adapter plate (attached photo). Everything else is indistinguishable from the original.

This is some really nice work. I think the coolest modifications/upgrades are the ones that are completely stealth. If you ever get tired of having an external AC/DC power brick, you might have enough room in there for something like a meanwell LRS series power supply. I'm using one to power a picoPSU in a mini 486 build, and it works really well.

adalbert wrote on 2020-07-13, 18:22:

I will probably not poke the hole at the moment, but maybe this thread should be an "ethical/moral" debate - should vintage hardware be treated with special care or not, what is allowed and what shouldn't be, are the internals or externals more important, when an antique stops to be an antique, am I the owner of the machine or is it cultural heritage 😉

But if I poke the hole - should I keep the plastic piece or throw it away, should I glue it to the case later etc., all of there are open questions, maybe you have similar thoughts when working with another hardware 😀

To me, the keyboard connector blank seems like a feature of the original product, so removing it doesn't seem so much like a modification. I would have no qualms with removing the blank and throwing it out. This is fundamentally different from cutting a new hole to mount a new connector, or this abomination.
...On the other hand, if the computer was being preserved mainly for its historical significance, like a museum piece, then it would probably be better to keep the blank intact. Or, at least keep it with the machine after removal to document this weird 'feature.'

Reply 14 of 28, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Just get rid of the plasma display!"

I bet that guy hackjobbed a nice vintage mechanical keyboard into a USB one too, or pillaged one for its keycaps and threw the rest in the trash.

Reply 16 of 28, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnnycontrario wrote on 2020-07-13, 22:56:

Yeah, that page ruined my day. Apparently he tried and failed, so threw the original out and installed a modern mechanical keyboard.

I hope the original was broken beyond repair to begin with, or at least that's what I will tell myself . 😢

Reply 17 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
johnnycontrario wrote on 2020-07-13, 22:25:

hnnngg
I bet the laptop was fully working before

honestly I'd still try routing the connector to the back before cutting it out just for the fun of it 😀

Reply 18 of 28, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I already have a hole in ISA bracket because I desoldered BNC connector from network card (the plastic door wouldn't close with it), so I could try to put PS/2 connector there 😀

Attachments

Reply 19 of 28, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm at the point where I would rather not punch out sheet metal drive ports; but I might just be losing it. I think keeping it original is sweet.

As for your laptop, I'm not sure that is the same thing. I don't know.