VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it was me I'd break it. Seems more of a shame to leave the keyboard connector a virgin then a bit of plastic (I was going to go further with that analogy but I'll keep it clean)
If you really don't like the idea the PS2 idea looks like a clean solution, even tidies up the empty hole.

Reply 22 of 28, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's the stupidest thing ever. I would assume there is nothing behind that plastic and wouldn't remove it ever. I'd be mighty mad if I found out later there was a working port behind that cover. Who does that? It's like covering the floppy drive with a plastic in case some poeple don't intend to use it.

Reply 23 of 28, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Id definitely try to confirm there is an actual keyboard port there.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 25 of 28, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just one question, and I'm not the only one:
Why on earth would you cover up an actual usable port and state in the manual: break me if you want to use an external keyboard???

Just open it up in the first place. Saves a little material (and money over thousands of laptops) and don't let the customer get confused.

On the other hand: you know for sure you'd be the first one to actually use it 😉

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 26 of 28, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
waterbeesje wrote on 2020-07-14, 15:47:
Just one question, and I'm not the only one: Why on earth would you cover up an actual usable port and state in the manual: brea […]
Show full quote

Just one question, and I'm not the only one:
Why on earth would you cover up an actual usable port and state in the manual: break me if you want to use an external keyboard???

Just open it up in the first place. Saves a little material (and money over thousands of laptops) and don't let the customer get confused.

On the other hand: you know for sure you'd be the first one to actually use it 😉

They likely used this lower case on many laptops and not all had the port, so it's instead not changing the tooling for different models.

Reply 28 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
johnnycontrario wrote on 2020-07-13, 22:25:

Ugh, I actually have mutual friends with that guy. Will definitely give him a piece of my mind if I ever make it out to his comic con.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto