VOGONS

Intel SE440BX-2 / Issues

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 33, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the pci sata card display a message at POST mentioning UMDA5 or 6.
When I use PCI/X SATA cards that don't have drivers in Win9x but have a bios that supports UDMA in DOS I force Win9x to use the cards bios. Rename ESDI_506.PDR to ESDI_506.BAK and reboot . Check if you get the same speed you get in DOS (86MB/s) when in win9x.

Reply 21 of 33, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To offer a possible alternative, I'm using an mSATA SSD + 2.5" IDE enclosure + 3.5" adapter: mSATA ssd adaptor in old pc . It works fine although DMA does not interop with with my controller (VIA 686B) under Windows 98, PIO mode 4 is the fastest mode available (at most 32 MByte/s). It also uses a JM 20330. This setup has the advantage of supporting TRIM and not needing 10 KB of conventional memory under DOS, as well as freeing the PCI bus for other uses.

Reply 22 of 33, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm currently focusing on my Voodoo2 issue, trying to see if using the PIII 450 helps or not. So far my IDE-Sata Adapter does the job pretty well so I'll check for the Sata card later. I should be able to find some other PCI Sata card soon, I'll make some tests as well

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 23 of 33, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm wondering if that would make sense to buy this card ( or this kind of )
t-l-chargement.jpg

To have DMA133 instead of DMA33 with this mobo.

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Personal GitHub

Reply 24 of 33, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NyLan wrote on 2020-07-23, 19:35:
I'm wondering if that would make sense to buy this card ( or this kind of ) https://i.ibb.co/n6d3xpK/t-l-chargement.jpg […]
Show full quote

I'm wondering if that would make sense to buy this card ( or this kind of )
t-l-chargement.jpg

To have DMA133 instead of DMA33 with this mobo.

At this point, I would go SATA instead. It makes sourcing drives easier . Promise
SATA150 TX2 and SIL3114 based cards are options . Both have Windows 9x and XP drivers (careful with the Promise, only one variant has 9x drivers).

Reply 25 of 33, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The thing is in your bios. Disable Both serial ports, Disable parallel ports. If you are not using the on board IDE disable both channel. If you just have CD rom just disable second channel. Boot computer go device manager. Under Hard disk controller. You going to Click the intel bus controller. Properties, settings, only Primary, or no channels.

You want to go into start, programs, accessories, system tools, system information. hardware resources, IRQ. See what IRQ is available. Manually assign your sata controller to free IRQ.

From your screen shot look like u using a raid bios. Id recommend using IDE bios, and IDE driver.

Reply 26 of 33, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that's the point, the Sil3114 based card I have can't be flashed with another Bios.
I tried to find a Sata150 TX2 card from Promise but so far I can't find any even on ebay.

Personal GitHub

Reply 27 of 33, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-15, 17:17:

My tentative recommendation, based on personal experience, for currently available IDE to SATA adapters is the SinLoon brand ones that are base on the Jmicron JM20330 chip . They are available on Amazon and probably elsewhere . That said, you will never get more than 33MB/second out of the integrated IDE ports on your board, no matter which adapter you use so I don't see much use in going in that direction . Also, the BIOS on your board likely will not properly handle drives greater than, at most, 127GB (if even that), connected to its onboard IDE ports .

As far as SATA PCI cards go, the Promise SATA150 TX2 PLUS is a good choice, if you can find one at a reasonable price and . If you can get a working one a SIL3114 should work well too . Keep in mind, though, that since you are using an SSD, the SIL3114 based cards will not pass TRIM commands under DOS at least (using RLOEWE's TRIM utility) .

I have the opportunity to get a Promise FastTrak S150 TX4 PCI 4x Sata for 10$ and it seems there's drivers for Windows98 and according to their respective manuals, it seems the only difference is that FastTrak support Raid feature while the other is just a Sata Controller.
I'll give a try 😀

Personal GitHub

Reply 29 of 33, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I ordered it, 10$ including shipping cost, I also feel it's a good price 😊

Personal GitHub

Reply 31 of 33, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just benched the Promise FastTrak S150 TX4, results are better but still not what I'm expecting, and I'm also getting the MS-DOS Compatibility warning under Windows98SE.

IMG-20200822-173510.jpg

Bios : 1.00.0.37
W98 Driver : 1.00.0.37

Personal GitHub

Reply 32 of 33, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I finally bought another card based on VIA VT6421A / From Connectland )

IMG_9057.JPG
Filename
IMG_9057.JPG
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

The driver works fine, no MS-DOS Compatibility warning to report this time !

Bench with Sata :

IMG_20200822_190612.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200822_190612.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license

Bench with IDE :

IMG_20200822_184927.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200822_184927.jpg
File size
1007.1 KiB
Views
File license

surprisingly, it performs better with connected with IDE + IDE to Sata Adapter than direct Sata to the SSD !

Here is some info in the card.
I can't find any other Bios to flash it, so I'll keep it like this.

IMG_20200822_184251.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200822_184251.jpg
File size
453.82 KiB
Views
File license

Personal GitHub

Reply 33 of 33, by Tense

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am having the same MS-DOS compatibility mode issue with my SI3114 and SE440BX-2.

It was mentioned to change the IRQ to a free one (its using 9 which is shared by 2 other PCI cards). Which I tried by booting into safe mode and changing it. But, the system will not boot if you change the SATA card away from "Windows Automatically Decides".

The drive seems to perform okay. But, I am sure it could perform better not in MS-DOS compatibility mode. I have tried pretty much everything I can think of.