First post, by Planet-Dune

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My system:

Cyrix 6x86MX PR233 socket 7 CPU
128MB SD ram
2MB Cirrus Logic PCI graphics card.
Creative AWE64 ISA sound blaster compatible sound card.

I want to add 3dfx Support to this system to play DOS 3dfx games. (I already have a bit more advanced system with a V5 5500 for later stuff). Now my question, which 3dfx card should I go for? I want to play games such as Tomb Raider, Carmageddon, Grand Theft Auto, ... and other DOS glide games.

I have a couple of V1 cards, a Banshee and a V3 I can choose from.. I believe the V3 (correct me if I am wrong) is to "new" to handle all legacy stuff. That leaves the V1 4mb and the Banshee 16mb. The banshee I can use as a stand alone card, the V1 would need to be linked... The V1 is obv the oldest and (?) most compatible with the games I mentioned but the Banshee might be just fine as well and offer improved performance... or is the V3 the dark horse I should not ignore?

Reply 1 of 3, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I think the V1 is the best fit here. I don’t think the Banshee is anymore ‘glide’ compatible than the V3.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeh think you've done your research well.

Banshee is somewhat comparable to Voodoo 2 in dos compatibility (as in it's not a V1) although the games you list should work fine.
Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compatibility matrix

Don't own a V1 but from what I understand it's not a bottleneck for dos gaming so no real benefit going faster and everything will work without patches.
Banshee image quality may be better as you loose the passthough cable.
Have one myself I intend to use in a dos build as only having 1 TMU won't matter and its great 2D dos compatibility.

But if I had a few V1's lying around doing nothing... It's a hard call
V1 is cooler, Banshee isn't as common.

I know! you need a 3rd system! 😉