VOGONS

First post, by johnnystarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The following pertains to the Gotek SFR1M44-U100 3.5 Inch 1.44MB USB SSD Floppy Drive Emulator Black:

I have used one of these in the past and had no problems. I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with my USB stick or the emulator itself.
I have tried 2 USB sticks actually, the first is a 8G USB 2.0, and the second is a 16G USB 3.0 device. I cannot boot nor can I select disks by clicking the two buttons.
During boot, the emulator LCD displays 0.00 however I am getting weird behavior when trying to boot from the emulator (See Pictures)

I am using the Floppy Emulator software 2 provided from Phil's site. This is the same software I used back in the day. I format the USB for 100 MS DOS 6.2 boot disks.
Then I added a few DOS 6.2 installation disks + other utilities and saved the drive.

I'm wondering if the firmware is bad? I did the "hold down both buttons on boot" and it displayed "F01" which I think means "Firmware version 1". Perhaps someone here
has dealt with this before?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0928.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0928.jpg
    File size
    1.28 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_0927.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0927.jpg
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0926.jpg
    File size
    1.22 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 2, by Lostdotfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did you ever get this sorted? I've had issues with larger USB sticks not working. Can you try one you know worked before?

Also, the stock firmware is pretty crumby. If you have a USB serial interface, you can flash flashfloppy firmware. Then you just dump IMG files on the drive without needing the silly utility to load into slots.

If you don't have the tools to flash it and you're in the UK, you're welcome to send it to me and I'll flash it for you.

Reply 2 of 2, by johnnystarr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Lostdotfish wrote on 2020-07-21, 07:20:

Did you ever get this sorted? I've had issues with larger USB sticks not working. Can you try one you know worked before?

Also, the stock firmware is pretty crumby. If you have a USB serial interface, you can flash flashfloppy firmware. Then you just dump IMG files on the drive without needing the silly utility to load into slots.

If you don't have the tools to flash it and you're in the UK, you're welcome to send it to me and I'll flash it for you.

That's very kind thank you. I'm in the USA. It turns out it was the power supply! I tried a regular floppy drive and that didn't work either...
Then smoke! Burnt wires... Fortunately it didn't damage any parts. I replaced the power supply and the standard 1.44 floppy works. I need to try the Gotek again, but I'm assuming its fine.
Thanks!