VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As the title mentions, I have a Shuttle HOT-327 that no matter how much I reconnected most of the KB traces, it will still complain about no keyboard (KB error). The KB leds DO flash when I flick the switch on.

Any ideas what to do? I can tell the KB controller works (else I wouldn't get any leds flickering on my KB?) but that's it.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1 of 4, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be blunt it's a hot mess, sorry. Wires are too thick and disorganized, everything is covered with (burned) soldering gunk and you can't really see what's what.
You just have to check continuity again to see what you have missed. Won't be easy. Use the photos you made before you started the repair.

Reply 2 of 4, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I checked continuity between all points and all check fine. The burned stuff is flux, but I'll do try and clean, if that could be the main issue that's causing this.

As for wires, I used mostly laptop speaker wires, as this is all I had on hand. I think I do have some ASUS IDE cable I cut up eons ago, but those usually have wires so crappy that they don't even stick solder.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 4, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Agree with Miphee that the patch work is quite messy. If you could find wire wrap wires, it would be much neater as they are quite thin. Keep the wire length as short as you could, and clean up the flux with alcohol and it would be better. I saw corrosion at the top side of the board near the battery too. I would clean those up and check the connectivity of these traces. Back to your keyboard issue, take some time to trace the clock and data lines starting from the keyboard connector and check their connectivity along the way.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 4 of 4, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check continuity between the 5 keyboard pins and the KB controller.
Here is one of mine as example:

1. - (seemingly NC)
2. pin 5
3. pin 39
4. pin 20
5. pin 1