VOGONS

First post, by utahraptor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day,

A few months ago I randomly came across a video showcasing a retro build. I can't forget what year it was centered on, but it really brought back some memories. I started thinking about it more over the last few days and I think I am ready to take the plunge and start planning a build for myself.

As a child my main rig growing up in junior high was a Intel 33 mhz unit. It was expanded eventually to have a CDROM kit that featured a sound blaster AWE 32. That kit came with tons of games. The computer even got the internet eventually. I later moved onto a Pentium 133mhz machine and continued my gaming on that machine.

Games I want to be able to plan on my machine:

Heroes of might and magic 2/3
Settlers's 2 Gold
Sim Tower
Sim City 2000
Doom
Warcraft 1/2
Full Throttle
Pinball Deluxe
Aces of the Pacific
Heretic

Stretch goals:

I want to explore getting Roland MIDI to work and try Monkey Island with it (never played it)

I am trying to determine what hardware I should target for this type of gaming.

Would a Pentium III be too much? I know I need an ISA slot for the sound card I want.

Reply 1 of 1, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A slot 1 system is usually the easiest way to have a good and stable retro system. It's still rather common, cpu's in the lower specs are easy to source and you have full DOS capabilities. For your needs an ATX 66MHz FSB intel LX-based system will give tons of joy.