VOGONS

CTMOUSE won't detect PS/2 mouse

Topic actions

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a PS/2 mouse connected to my PCChips M560TG motherboard, not using the onboard PS/2 Mouse Port but rather using a breakout bracket connected to the relevant pins on J3.

PS/2 Mouse support is enabled in support.

The mouse (which is an optical HP mouse) gets power and lights up at POST, and it actually works in the BIOS.

Regardless of whatever version (1.9, 2.0, 2.1b) of CTMOUSE.EXE I use, and regardless of switches, I can't get it to detect the mouse.

Any ideas on how to do this? Alternative dos mouse driver suggestions are also welcome..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 30, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure the pinout of the motherboard matches the pinout of the bracket you've connected ? This was never standardized.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 30, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For PS/2 mice, most mouse drivers do not directly talk to the hardware, but they use the BIOS services for interfacing the PS/2 port. So if the mouse works in BIOS (which most likely means AMI's Win-BIOS GUI), the BIOS knows how to successfully talk to the mouse and should be able to forward this service to the PS/2 mouse driver.

Check for IRQ conflicts on IRQ12. If some card (like an ISA NE2000) gets initialized during boot and claims IRQ12, the PS/2 port starts to fail, and this could result in the problem you descibe.

Reply 4 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkarcher wrote on 2020-07-20, 05:42:

For PS/2 mice, most mouse drivers do not directly talk to the hardware, but they use the BIOS services for interfacing the PS/2 port. So if the mouse works in BIOS (which most likely means AMI's Win-BIOS GUI), the BIOS knows how to successfully talk to the mouse and should be able to forward this service to the PS/2 mouse driver.

Check for IRQ conflicts on IRQ12. If some card (like an ISA NE2000) gets initialized during boot and claims IRQ12, the PS/2 port starts to fail, and this could result in the problem you descibe.

You may be onto something, IRQ12 seems to be taken by something but I can't figure out what. I think it may be the ES1868 sound card's IDE controller..

EDIT: No that is on IRQ10..

Reply 5 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-07-20, 06:52:

i think you could try microsoft's mouse driver - i think it's mouse.com in the windows files.

It is not present in my WfWG3.11 folder.

Reply 8 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MAZter wrote on 2020-07-20, 16:07:

Probably your mouse is too new for MS-DOS

No it works on 430TX/VX boards.

Reply 9 of 30, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-20, 12:26:
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-07-20, 06:52:

i think you could try microsoft's mouse driver - i think it's mouse.com in the windows files.

It is not present in my WfWG3.11 folder.

The downloads via this page might be something to check out:

https://winworldpc.com/product/microsoft-mouse/9x

Reply 10 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK I have all versions of MOUSE.COM from 2.0 to 9.1 as well as MMOUSE and PMOUSE on a floppy now, I'll try them all tonight. Fun times.

Reply 11 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK, none of the drivers work. Some report not being able to access the port, some report not finding the device, some load but there is no mouse movement.

I've tried to find out what is using IRQ12 and had no success. I have PS/2 Mouse Support enabled in BIOS, but IRQ12 appears occupied in MSD even if I disable it. Something else is using it and I can't find what. MSD reports it as 'System Handler'. Should I just pull out the other PCI/ISA cards until I get it to work, maybe? Could the Network Card be getting IRQ12 assigned?

Maybe it's just a known AMI BIOS bug? 😒

Reply 12 of 30, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could you try to remove all non vital components like the network adapter and see if that helps? I guess it can be an IRQ conflict between the network adapter and the ps/2.

Does a serial mouse work? That could be a second option... But no fancy light down under then...

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 13 of 30, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well like I said, did you make sure the connections to the header are correct ?

It may be as simple as that 😁

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 14 of 30, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so there's an external 6pin din for ps/2 mouse AND there's an internal header that you're using - am i getting that right? is there a jumper to determine what one to use?

i would further "test" by installing win98 or something to see if the mouse is picked up in the install environment.

check the documentation to see if the ports are meant to work the same or if there's some sort of polling you can change, possibly some "legacy" function that needs to be checked?

really weird issue you got there, considering that it's working in bios...

Reply 15 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-07-22, 00:11:

Yes, like I said it works in the BIOS (though now that I have flashed it to a newer version it's no longer the Win BIOS style AMI BIOS so I can't confirm that it STILl works, but it DID work with the same connections).

Reply 16 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
waterbeesje wrote on 2020-07-21, 22:02:

Could you try to remove all non vital components like the network adapter and see if that helps? I guess it can be an IRQ conflict between the network adapter and the ps/2.

Does a serial mouse work? That could be a second option... But no fancy light down under then...

I will try removing other extension cards (NIC and Sound) tonight. Although I do wonder, is the motherboard assigning IRQ12 to something on my ATI All In Wonder Pro such as the TV Tuner or capture device?..

Serial works but I don't want to use a ball mouse.

Deksor wrote on 2020-07-22, 00:11:

Yes, like I said it works in the BIOS (though now that I have flashed it to a newer version it's no longer the Win BIOS style AMI BIOS so I can't confirm that it STILl works, but it DID work with the same connections).

foil_fresh wrote on 2020-07-22, 02:45:
so there's an external 6pin din for ps/2 mouse AND there's an internal header that you're using - am i getting that right? is th […]
Show full quote

so there's an external 6pin din for ps/2 mouse AND there's an internal header that you're using - am i getting that right? is there a jumper to determine what one to use?

i would further "test" by installing win98 or something to see if the mouse is picked up in the install environment.

check the documentation to see if the ports are meant to work the same or if there's some sort of polling you can change, possibly some "legacy" function that needs to be checked?

really weird issue you got there, considering that it's working in bios...

Yes, I am using the 4 relevant pins on the J3 internal header and no there appear to be no other options be it jumpers or in BIOS (other than enabling PS/2 Mouse Support). Now that you mention it there is also a 4x2 PS2 header above the AT keyboard connector. There is no pinout to that in the manual, though, so I used the PS2 Mouse pins on J3.

EDIT: I found the pinout for PCChips motherboards. For future reference:

Pin 1-->   .  .  <-- Pin 2
Pin 3--> . <-- Pin 4
Pin 5--> . . <-- Pin 6
Pin 7--> . . <-- Pin 8

1 - Mouse Clock
2 - Ground
3 - Open
4 - Mouse Data
5 - Open
6 - Open
7 - Open
8 - V.C.C.

I will give this a try tonight, maybe that one will work better.

I will also test the windows 98 setup CD.

Reply 18 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another alternative could be to use a USB Mouse in DOS (BIOS has support for USB peripherals in DOS and detects USB Mouse at POST - I just don't know what driver would work for this..)

Reply 19 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-22, 06:12:

are you sure your new BIOS has mouse support enabled?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website