Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2020-07-22, 07:02:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-22, 06:12:

Yes, like I said it works in the BIOS (though now that I have flashed it to a newer version it's no longer the Win BIOS style AMI BIOS so I can't confirm that it STILl works, but it DID work with the same connections).

are you sure your new BIOS has mouse support enabled?

The option appears ENABLED in BIOS. Just to make sure it is not an issue due to the BIOS upgrade I cleared the CMOS with the jumper as well as CLRCMOS.EXE; no go.

Of course, it could be a BIOS bug, ie. appears Enabled in BIOS but does not actually work? Funny thing is, IRQ12 is occupied by something even if I set PS2 Mouse Support to Disabled..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21 of 30, by bregolin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a similar issue with a PCChips motherboard as well. CTMOUSE 2.1 works on that motherboard, but 2.0 does not, so give that a try.

EDIT: Sorry, I see you already tried 2.1b and it didn't work.

IBM Aptiva 2162 - P55 166 MMX, 32MB, CS4237B + Wavetable, ATI Mach64 2MB / Win98SE
Custom PIII 750, 64MB, SB AWE64, Voodoo 3 3000 AGP / Win98SE
Sony Vaio z505 SuperSlim - PIII 550, 192MB, YMF744, NeoMagic 256AV+ / Win98SE

Reply 22 of 30, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, i had this problem before with a ps/2 mouse. Turned out the ps/2 connector to the motherboard was using the wrong pins.
I just had to rearrange the wires on the connector to the correct assignment.

Check with your motherboard manual for pin#1 and your ps/2 motherboard pin assignments.
But here is the basics.

Attachments

Reply 23 of 30, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, I just saw the photo of the motherboard you are using.
Since the PS/1 connector is soldered to the motherboard I don’t believe it to be a connector problem since it works in DOS.
So it must be a driver problem or resource assignment problem. ( IRQ / DMA ).

Here is some docs from my Gigabyte motherboard manual which points out some commonly used settings.

Attachments

Reply 24 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2020-07-22, 07:02:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-07-22, 06:12:

Yes, like I said it works in the BIOS (though now that I have flashed it to a newer version it's no longer the Win BIOS style AMI BIOS so I can't confirm that it STILl works, but it DID work with the same connections).

are you sure your new BIOS has mouse support enabled?

I have tried to work out the PS/2 Mouse quirk in the BIOS to no avail 🙁 So I bit the bullet and installed Win98SE to check and no, it appears that the new BIOS screws something up in PS/2 mouse department - the mouse can no longer be detected in Win98SE either. Also, Win98SE reports IRQ12 as being free so it's not a resource conflict.

I have reverted to using a USB Mouse for now. I am tempted to remove the motherboard from the case and actually try the PS/2 header on it (which is not compatible with the case I am using, but I may just say FUCK IT and move everything into an ATX case. I have a 3D Printed backplate for this. I can then use this case for a 5x86 build or something.

Reply 25 of 30, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IRQ #12 is labeled as being in use in MSD because it is suppose to be assigned to the PS/2 mouse.
Must be a problem with your Mouse.exe configuration string. Also make sure your are using all the correct DOS version files.

Reply 26 of 30, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

better check the installed mouseport and then check why the header is not working

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 27 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2020-07-23, 09:35:

better check the installed mouseport and then check why the header is not working

The onboard PS/2 port worked like a charm, so I just went ahead and replaced the PS/2 bracket with another one and that worked like a charm as well. It took me a long while to figure out why the old one didn't work as every single pin that should be connected had connectivity to each other.

Then I realized the 5V pin was also shorted to GND for whatever reason.

Mystery solved, case closed. It was a stupid problem but solving it is a win in my book. I really needed a small win considering how defeated I am feeling with troubleshooting my Snark Barker 🙁

Reply 30 of 30, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote on 2020-07-23, 22:25:

So I was right since the beginning ? Oh well this happens sometimes ^^

Yeah, Occam's Razor often applies 😀