VOGONS

First post, by 90skidJohnny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Howdy all! Hope everyone had a good weekend (ugh I dont wanna go to work tomorrrrooowwww)

Anywho, In the process of restoring a Packard Bell Legend 10 CD system. Got a sweet deal on ebay with this one, however no cpu. Ive been after this model for quiet sometime, as I had it back in 95. Anywho, I had a AM486DX4-120 in a board somewhere I figured I could put that in.

Well, I couldnt get the computer to post. Booted up hardware wise, but notta. After doing some research I found on some archived site that the PB450 motherboard supports version of the DX4-120 , it does not really support mine, because its 3v vs 5v that the board supports. Drats

Even after more spelunking, I found a few users found a way to mod the system as the jumper settings on the board existing, its just that good ol packard bell cheaped out and didnt include the regulator. Fun.

If what im seeing is correct, I should just be able to get the LT1085 Voltage reg, 2 SMD caps, and make a bridge on one of the jumpers and call it a day. Just trying to see if anyone has done or is familiar with this mod. Most of the logs i see of people doing it are also replacing other things to, so the list of the items they purchased doesn't seem to be just what is needed for the 3.3 mod

Also, Did i fry my cpu by running 5v into it instead of 3.3v? if so... oops 🤣

Be safe friends !

Reply 1 of 1, by chublord

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CPU might be dead, but I just went through the same thing and used a generic VRM on Amazon. It was cheaper (and considerably easier) than trying to make my own.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CVBG8C … 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IBM Valuepoint 486 DX4-100, Opti 802G, 50 MHz FSB, Voodoo1+S3 864, Quantum Fireball EX 4.0 GB, Seagate Medalist 1.6 GB, 128 MB FPM, 256k L2