VOGONS

First post, by Arbuthnot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I'm putting a system together with this Dell board. Looking into external cache I see that some systems used "cache on a stick" and others had ICs you mounted onto the board, but this appears to use a card module. Was this an uncommon thing to do, meaning these cards will be rarer than hen's teeth?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my experience they're not that rare, but it's finding them that's the tricky bit. The main problem is that scrappers or even collectors come across them and don't know what they are. Like many other such things, it's quite possible you could pick up a bargain if you are looking over a long period of time on eBay using certain search terms. What is more likely is that you will pay more because the item is listed specifically, because the seller knows what they've got (or you're impatient - sometimes you just need it fast).

Amibay might be a good place to look because you can get less common stuff for more reasonable prices.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 2 of 2, by Arbuthnot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I suppose I'll have to keep an eye out for one popping up, fingers crossed. I'd never heard of Amibay but I'll check it out.
Another one that might be tricky is the riser card, but looking at it I think I can use a generic ISA riser and the extra connector at the end was for a system fan (according to Dell documentation on the Wayback machine).