VOGONS

First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering if this Seasonic SS-350SFE 350W is worth purchasing for my retro projects. I have been using ATX PSU's for most of my builds, using an ATX to AT converter (with -5v). However, I have a 386SX build that is still using the crappy 30 year old AT PSU that it used originally and I'd like to replace it with an ATX PSU.

There are probably better SeaSonic PSU's, I'm sure, but I don't really seem to have access to those. So my question is; is this Seasonic SS-350SFE 350W worth purchasing?

Feature description copied from Amazon:

• Pentium 4 ready with P4 connectors
  • Forward converter circuit
  • High efficiency and reliability
  • Low ripple & noise
  • Super low noise fan control
  • Short circuit protection on all outputs
  • Over voltage protection
  • Over power protection
  • 100% hi-pot test
  • 100% burn in. high temperature cycled on/off

Source: https://www.amazon.com/Seasonic-SS-350SFE-Act … y/dp/B004VP73L4

Reply 1 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That model is rated very well if you read reviews at Newegg. Only downside is the fan may be noisier than some other newer ATX models with 120mm fan due to only a 80mm but will not be loader than any AT PSU as they all used 80mm fans.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 10, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Speaking generally, Seasonic's high end. They make among the best desktop PSUs.

That's why I bought one. I was going to replace my 400W Silverstone with another Silverstone (which is a rebranded Seasonic) when I read the reviews, and the ones under Seasonic's own brand are a little better.

At least, the new ones.

Reply 3 of 10, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seasonic is a great brand. I've had my 4 850 watt seasonic units for over 10 years now and they still are in spec on all voltage lines and all of them work perfectly in my systems.

Reply 4 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm a big Seasonic fan. I have a 1050W in my main computer and I was buying/hoarding the 350w and a few higher ones for retro builds when there were cheaply available new pulls listed on eBay.

The ones I got have the single 120mm fan.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 10, by Marentis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I only buy Seasonic or Corsair and even my 10+ years old PSUs aren't causing any issues whatsoever. In fact my go to strategy is to replace
my main rigs PSU with major upgrades (platform switching) and then pass the old PSU down to my retro systems.
This leads to a kinda silly situation where 800+W PSUs are in use in my retro systems but that can't be helped. It's not like that they're on all
the time and the efficiency loss isn't that much of an issue seeing that they don't consume as much power anyways.

Reply 6 of 10, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The brand by itself does not really say anything, there are both very good and very bad Seasonic power supplies over there. A good source of information would be Power Supply Tier List 2020 - ideally you should aim at highest tier that your budget would allow while avoiding lower tier power supplies like a plague.

I could find this specific unit in 2016 list - it's in Tier 3 (Average), so should be okay, but you might want to check and possibly replace it after a year or two of usage. Currently it seems that there is a global power supply shortage so it might be difficult to find good power supplies in stock or they might appear a bit more expensive than usual.

Personally, since 2012, I try NOT to buy anything lower than Tier B+ and so far had zero power supply failures and all my motherboards and complete systems are still alive, despite going through thunderstorms, electricity failures, etc. Before 2012 I tried to buy "good" brands but didn't know about the tiers - usually had to replace power supply and motherboard up to 3 times per year, independently of the brand.

Reply 7 of 10, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ykot wrote on 2020-07-27, 18:07:

The brand by itself does not really say anything, there are both very good and very bad Seasonic power supplies over there. A good source of information would be Power Supply Tier List 2020 - ideally you should aim at highest tier that your budget would allow while avoiding lower tier power supplies like a plague.

I could find this specific unit in 2016 list - it's in Tier 3 (Average), so should be okay, but you might want to check and possibly replace it after a year or two of usage. Currently it seems that there is a global power supply shortage so it might be difficult to find good power supplies in stock or they might appear a bit more expensive than usual.

Personally, since 2012, I try NOT to buy anything lower than Tier B+ and so far had zero power supply failures and all my motherboards and complete systems are still alive, despite going through thunderstorms, electricity failures, etc. Before 2012 I tried to buy "good" brands but didn't know about the tiers - usually had to replace power supply and motherboard up to 3 times per year, independently of the brand.

And if you have that bad of power coming from your mains, it is time to invest in a UPS that runs everything off of the batteries so as to isolate your equipment from the really crappy power coming from your utilities provider.

3 times a year is insane failure rates even if you buy the cheapest junk out there.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 10, by ykot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-07-27, 18:19:

And if you have that bad of power coming from your mains, it is time to invest in a UPS that runs everything off of the batteries so as to isolate your equipment from the really crappy power coming from your utilities provider.

I do have UPS plus few other active protection systems as well as separate ground in the house, and the mains appears to be fine. However, powerful lighting strikes are quite common here during summer season (central part of Mexico) and high altitude does not help. Nearby lighting strikes (less than 500m) are quite common in this particular area to transformers and re-translation tower, and this is usually followed by a low-voltage on power lines (it gets to something like 80V instead of regular 127V) until it is repaired by the electricity company. In fact, we were unfortunate enough to witness something that resembles a ball lighting few years back, which appeared just few meters away from my wife and 4 year old son at the front gate of our house - a fascinating but pretty scary experience.

However, as surprising as it may sound, after switching to top tier power supplies, I haven't had a single occurrence of power unit or motherboard failure ever since, so I definitely recommend investing in a high tier PSU.

Reply 10 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While that tier list is interesting. I can find a bunch of sites that test stuff like PSU and rarely do they agree so am not putting any stock in one website... but thank you.
BTW am using a bunch of old ATX they do not list or list as questionable and have yet had any issues with blown parts, maybe just lucky 😀

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun