VOGONS

First post, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I bought a LGA1366 mb some months ago, unlucky it proved to have bent\broken pins, the mb obviously doesn't even boot, I tried the debug card and shows 0000 or ----, that should means it doesn't detect the cpu.
Here is a picture of the socket: https://imgur.com/a/k8bYwMw
I'm still unsure if such behaviour is caused from bent\broken pins or if there could be other hidden issues, but I found that a socket replacement can be ordered from China with less than €6 (which I did).
In such case I will need someone who will solder the new socket, I obviously lack the proper tools and knowledge but according to a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzMHJXHO120) it should be doable, by any chance is there anyone in Europe (or even better Italy) that will do such thing?
I also tried to get in touch with Asus, they told me the replacement would cost 30 eur but then they said they will not do it because they do not have the replacement.

Thanks for any help.

Reply 2 of 21, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2020-07-26, 07:00:

I'd just get a "new" board. Who knows what else is wrong with this one.

I would do it too but a working lga 1366 mb costs more than 100 eur, this one with full bundle I paid 30 eur...

Reply 3 of 21, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-07-26, 07:25:

I would do it too but a working lga 1366 mb costs more than 100 eur, this one with full bundle I paid 30 eur...

Did you check on Ebay? I see a few boards for ~$60.
I'd post an ad on local classifieds.

Reply 4 of 21, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2020-07-26, 07:31:

Did you check on Ebay? I see a few boards for ~$60.
I'd post an ad on local classifieds.

Yes, I checked on ebay (those are ebay prices), unlucky I do not know any local classifieds....

Reply 6 of 21, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't perform the transplant but I have two ideas:
Ask ASUS wether they'll do it if you supply the socket with the board. (30€ is very fair!)
Try locating a video game console repair shop near you and ask wether they'll do it if you supply the socket.

Reply 7 of 21, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-07-26, 08:32:

Ask ASUS wether they'll do it if you supply the socket with the board. (30€ is very fair!)
Try locating a video game console repair shop near you and ask wether they'll do it if you supply the socket.

That's a good idea, I will try to ask but I'm going to be skeptical they will do it.
Unlucky the only video game console repair shops are like gamestop, they are useless, but I will check.

Reply 8 of 21, by Marentis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some pins are redundant and others could be bent back with tweezers. So you might want to check for a socket diagram as you might be lucky.
Personally I wouldn't pay any money to get that board repaired by third parties as it seems it had been abused in the past and before that socket is fixed it is very hard to know if anything else has been destroyed, too.

Reply 9 of 21, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-07-26, 06:49:
Hello, I bought a LGA1366 mb some months ago, unlucky it proved to have bent\broken pins, the mb obviously doesn't even boot, I […]
Show full quote

Hello, I bought a LGA1366 mb some months ago, unlucky it proved to have bent\broken pins, the mb obviously doesn't even boot, I tried the debug card and shows 0000 or ----, that should means it doesn't detect the cpu.
I'm still unsure if such behaviour is caused from bent\broken pins or if there could be other hidden issues, but I found that a socket replacement can be ordered from China with less than €6 (which I did).
In such case I will need someone who will solder the new socket, I obviously lack the proper tools and knowledge but according to a youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzMHJXHO120) it should be doable, by any chance is there anyone in Europe (or even better Italy) that will do such thing?
I also tried to get in touch with Asus, they told me the replacement would cost 30 eur but then they said they will not do it because they do not have the replacement.

Thanks for any help.

That does'nt look too bad TBH.
Some patience, a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers and you should be able to sort it out.
Soldering a new socket, while doable, will most likely cost you more then just getting another motherboard.
If you have something like a "ASUS Rampage III Extreme" it might be worth it, but otherwise no.

Reply 10 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2020-07-26, 14:41:
That does'nt look too bad TBH. Some patience, a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers and you should be able to sort it out. S […]
Show full quote
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-07-26, 06:49:
Hello, I bought a LGA1366 mb some months ago, unlucky it proved to have bent\broken pins, the mb obviously doesn't even boot, I […]
Show full quote

Thanks for any help.

Some patience, a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers and you should be able to sort it out.
Soldering a new socket, while doable, will most likely cost you more then just getting another motherboard.
If you have something like a "ASUS Rampage III Extreme" it might be worth it, but otherwise no.

If OP does get a replacement socket 1366 board, I suggest avoiding the Asus P6X58D Premium . It has a failure mode (not related to socket) that looks just like bad RAM, but is actually the board itself failing somehow . I got hit with that issue and found that it was a rather common one for this board .

Reply 11 of 21, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2020-07-26, 08:32:

Don't bother with ASUS... at least if you are in the USA. They wanted over $800 to replace a socket on an LGA 2011-3 board.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 12 of 21, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-07-26, 15:33:

If OP does get a replacement socket 1366 board, I suggest avoiding the Asus P6X58D Premium . It has a failure mode (not related to socket) that looks just like bad RAM, but is actually the board itself failing somehow . I got hit with that issue and found that it was a rather common one for this board .

Actually I am following a Asus P6X58D-E (REV. 1.00) sold as working with cpu and ram, does it has troubles too?

bofh.fromhell wrote on 2020-07-26, 14:41:
That does'nt look too bad TBH. Some patience, a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers and you should be able to sort it out. S […]
Show full quote

Indeed the mb doesn't look that bad, I can't see any obvious damage, on the other hand I can spot a missing pin and 2-3 of them are bent, usually with such light damage the mb should post and give errors while installing windows.
I tried with magnifier and sharp tweezers but it goes beyond my skill...
I tried different ram modules but I have just 1 cpu, I bought it from China, so another try could be buy another cheap cpu to test it, but honestly I think the seller has just acted smart and the problem lies in the mb.
Here is a picture of the mb, maybe someone can spot any obvious damage: https://imgur.com/a/NYGpGy8

Reply 13 of 21, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Marentis wrote on 2020-07-26, 09:39:

Some pins are redundant and others could be bent back with tweezers. So you might want to check for a socket diagram as you might be lucky.
Personally I wouldn't pay any money to get that board repaired by third parties as it seems it had been abused in the past and before that socket is fixed it is very hard to know if anything else has been destroyed, too.

Yes, I agree fully. I would try to unbend using tweezers and a magnifying glass. There are some lessons (Russian):
https://youtu.be/AzS6VQR_c_o
https://youtu.be/nDhnR2qQZMg

P.S. To replace the socket it is necessary to use a big (size should be equal to the mainboard) bottom preheater. Otherwise the whole PCB might be somehow bent or twisted and the socket may not be soldered completely. Not every repair center has proper equipment.

Last edited by Roman555 on 2020-07-26, 16:46. Edited 3 times in total.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 14 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nemo1985 wrote on 2020-07-26, 16:05:
darry wrote on 2020-07-26, 15:33:

Actually I am following a Asus P6X58D-E (REV. 1.00) sold as working with cpu and ram, does it has troubles too?

I honestly cannot say for that specific model . Since I was not planning on overclocking, I got a Supermicro X8SAX instead, 2 of them actually . They are well built, IMHO, and quite reliable . They work well with 48GB of unbuffered (standard desktop type) DDR3 SDRAM and officially support Xeons and has multiple PCI Express x16 slots as well as 2 PCI-X slots. The "bonus" PCI-X slots were actually useful to me for plugging in a cheap as chips but very high quality Aja KONA LH capture card . There are also variants without the PCI-X slots, but since those slots can also take regular legacy PCI cards, I don't see having them as a negative in any way .

The only potential issues with this board are that
a) some CPU coolers are "incompatible" as they will block the first PCI Express slot, at least that's the only limitation I have seen (Noctua is unclear as to the "incompatibility) . I actually use one of those "incompatible" Noctua models and don't mind losing a slot .
b) No provisions for overclocking . Intel specs seem to be followed to a T .

Reply 15 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looked at the pics.. definitely more than 5 bent pins that likely aren't making contact. One pin looks like it is missing the top portion and for sure won't make contact.

You can get a brand new socket for about $8, solder balls pre-installed. Then use a hot air pencil with a 60x60mm airflow adapter to remove the socket. After that, clean up the pads with copper braid. Then apply flux, then set the new socket in place and heat again to solder it to the board. I did this with a dual 2011v3 board that I got for really cheap. It has been running as my main home server for over a year now with no issues.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 16 of 21, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wiretap wrote on 2020-07-26, 18:28:

Looked at the pics.. definitely more than 5 bent pins that likely aren't making contact. One pin looks like it is missing the top portion and for sure won't make contact.

You can get a brand new socket for about $8, solder balls pre-installed. Then use a hot air pencil with a 60x60mm airflow adapter to remove the socket. After that, clean up the pads with copper braid. Then apply flux, then set the new socket in place and heat again to solder it to the board. I did this with a dual 2011v3 board that I got for really cheap. It has been running as my main home server for over a year now with no issues.

Thank you for the tip, other than the pins did you spot any other damage on the mb? Unlucky other than a chinese solder tool with different tips, the solder braid and some flux I miss the the hot air pencil... Do you have any product to advise?

Reply 17 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4RHZ21/ref=cm_s … i_HYPhFbRQAWSMA

And this tip for removing CPU sockets: search eBay for "BGA Nozzle 40 40mm Mesh" -- the 40x40mm should work fine.. I use a slightly bigger one, but I don't see any in stock for cheap.

Also, I didn't look for other damage on your board. It would be best to replace the socket first since that's an obvious problem area.

My Github

Reply 18 of 21, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for the link, I searched on european amazon but they seem to cost more.
I found those one on aliexpress which seems like your: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32883421651.html?
As for Noozle, I'd buy the 45x45: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000186981792.html

Do they seem suitable in your opinion?

Reply 19 of 21, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that will work.

Here's a general tutorial on how it is done: https://youtu.be/SzMHJXHO120

He's using a PCB preheater below which helps cut down on high temp reflow time, but isn't totally necessary. You just have to make sure to keep the board flat so it doesn't warp, and warm up a large area around the socket to prevent thermal stress. You can even use an electric skillet (i.e.pancake griddle) to use as a board preheater to aid the removal. You can use an IR thermometer to set the temp below the melting point of plastics on the board. 100-150C is all you really need. The hot air pencil should be set somewhere between 315-400C.

My Github