VOGONS

First post, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A while ago I got an old 386 just because I wanted some parts of the case for another build. Since it would be a shame to waste a perfectly good (ehum) 386 I thought I should give it a chance to live again.

What we have is a Facit S333T, orignally a 386 DX 33 but upgraded with a Cyrix cpu, probably running at 66mhz.

Looking at the date-codes on the components it probably from 1990. Can't really get any more clues about model/manufacturer from looking at it an trying to google any of the info i have from the card doesn't give any hits. Other Facit-computers I have had thru the years has been produced by Mitac but I don't see their name anywhere on this model.

Onboard IDE, floppy, serial and parallell port
8 SIMM sockets
8 ISA slots
non standard AT-connector, not ground in the middle
external battery (not leaking!)
128k L1 cache (is that even possible on a 386?)
unknown memory size. Speedsys reports 22mb, bios says 8mb.

IMG_20190721_195242.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190721_195242.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Case on top in the middle.

IMG_20200726_130752.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200726_130752.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license

Motherboard

Reply 1 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PWA 4000WB. Looks like an Everex model name to me. It's a pretty sweet board...TTL logic. No chipset. 128kb cache. Plus you have a DRx2 33/66 in pristine condition with original heatsink. That's rare. That case is amazing too.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 7, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-07-26, 11:57:

PWA 4000WB. Looks like an Everex model name to me. It's a pretty sweet board...TTL logic. No chipset. 128kb cache. Plus you have a DRx2 33/66 in pristine condition with original heatsink. That's rare. That case is amazing too.

Tried to find any information about it but couldn't find much more.

It has some quirks that has to be taken care of, many of them might be related to the dead battery. The harddrive is dead (clicks of death) and it doesn't allow me to make any changes in the bios, I just get various beeps from the pc-speaker when I press any key. But it boots happily from a 3,5" disk and managed to run some tests and benchmarks.

The case has a history of its own. My first PC had the same case for many years, it ended up with a Pentium 133 in it before it got converted to ATX and still serves as a backup server that my father still uses.

So I did another build with the same case design that I converted many years ago... now with a slightly faster components.

_dsc9876.jpg
Filename
_dsc9876.jpg
File size
374.38 KiB
Views
File license
_dsc9886.jpg
Filename
_dsc9886.jpg
File size
334.91 KiB
Views
File license

This one will be kept original as long as possible, the only modification made is that i have borrowed the front panel.

Reply 5 of 7, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2020-07-26, 11:57:

It's a pretty sweet board...TTL logic. No chipset. 128kb cache.

That seems to be the penalty to being to market early with so much cache. The design costs of that board must have been enormous, look at the nearly 30(!) GAL/PAL custom logic chips (recognizable by the paper label indicating the program). The production costs of a board that big are also considerable. There were 386DX chipsets in 1990, for example I remember the Intel 82385 cache controller in the Compaq Deskpro 386/20 made in 1988 already. But that cache controller only support 32K of mainboard-level cache. I also thought about the Intel 82346 system controller, a rebranded VLSI 82c330 (aka TOPCAT), but at least the Intel version was announced in 1990, so not finding it on a board produced in 1990 makes sense. The C&T CS8231 also comes to mind, but I couldn't find the release date readily available.

It's interesting that you find 2 50ns-delay lines (with 5 taps each, as usual, so 10-20-30-40-50ns) for memory timing generation. This might be a hint towards bank interleaving. So I guess that board was top notch in 1990.

Reply 6 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Intel did a addendum detailing how to double 32K to 64K using 385 cache controller. I seen that document long ago on line I was googling about 385.

PS GAL and PAL are the weakest point and they sometimes overheat and fail prematurely. I lost a ATI wonder card that was driving TTL montior to this since this one used six PAL ICs. Hot enough to cook the PCB under each of them.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 7, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got it running again but I haven't changed the battery.

Postscreen
URQCHlv.jpg

Bios
s0sLafg.jpg

The only thing i can do is reboot the computer with ctrl-alt-del. Anything else just fills the keyboard buffer and ends up with a lot of beeps.

I will try with another battery as soon as I find a good replacement for the 3.6v that was in it.