VOGONS

First post, by Arbuthnot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a Dell 433s/x (according to the BIOS) board. When I power up I get "F1 to continue, F2 to go to setup" if there is a change or a problem but otherwise I can't get into the BIOS - hitting F2, ESC etc doesn't work. Anyone have any idea of how you get into setup when there isn't a problem?

Reply 1 of 2, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You have to tap F2 a couple times right when display first comes up or watch keyboard and when leds flash tap it then. The timing is a bit tricky on Dells.
Also some older Dells you need 'Del' key or 'Ctrl + Alt + Enter' key combo if there is no issue to announce the 'press F2'

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 2, by Arbuthnot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-07-26, 19:24:

You have to tap F2 a couple times right when display first comes up or watch keyboard and when leds flash tap it then. The timing is a bit tricky on Dells.
Also some older Dells you need 'Del' key or 'Ctrl + Alt + Enter' key combo if there is no issue to announce the 'press F2'

Thanks for the reply. No luck with "Del" or "Ctrl Alt Enter" but if I quickly tap Esc I can usually get a "stuck key failure" which brings up the "F2" option for BIOS. Surprised there's not an easier way to do it!