VOGONS

First post, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Folks,

After reading a lot on the SB16s, and coming to the conclusion that they all have some problem or other...

Is there any real reason to using a SB16 card instead of say a Yamaha card, besides the "I want a Sound Blaster card in my system" reason..?

If it's not the midi bugs, it pops and clocks, or noise, etc. Seems there is no 1 good one, so what's the point?

Also somewhat related...

I know it's possible to use more than one card, since I have seen it aorund here several times. But what exactly are the resources used for the FM portion? Is it just the base address?

What happens when you add 2 cards say a Sound Blaster Pro and a SB16, or a SB16 and a Yamaha, etc.? How is it specified which card a game uses for FM? Just by the address you configure or something else?

Would it be possible with that criteria to connect say an AWE32/64 + a Yamaha card for the best of both worlds, and have all the nice stuff the 32/64 cards have plus the true OPL of a Yamaha card? (or that SB/SBPRO/SB16 cards have too)

Reply 1 of 10, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Games assume FM is at port 338. Multiple cards will just play FM at the same time, however you could mute or maybe even disable the FM portion in the card's drivers.

In my opinion SB16's are useless. Most DOS games don't need 16 bit sound, and if they do they might support Windows Sound System for that. If you really want SB16 compatibility, there's the ALS100 (non +) chip, but the cards themselves are often of subpar quality. They generally include an OPL3 or exact clone. There's also a SB16 compatible CMI8330 chipset, however I believe all of those use the Crystal chip's FM implementation.

Last edited by Oetker on 2020-07-28, 07:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 10, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well. I like my CT2230 SB16 alot personally. It has a revision CT1703-A chip on it that, to my understanding, provides the cleanest, quietest audio you can get out of a 16'.

Yeah it's kinda glorified Sound Blaster 2.0 with the lack of 16bit support in games but. It's allways sounded pretty good IMO (better then some clones iv had) and the piping/clicks go away with high DMA disabled.

I'm indifferent to the midi bugs. FM in DOS for me.

Sooo...IDK. I guess a majority of SB16s just kinda...exist?
Their are crappy ones. Really crappy ones. And then good models with the right revision. And if you do stumble across one of those, I see no need to switch off unless midi on one card is really bugging ya.

Wich in that case. You could allways pair it with a cheepo clone card that has a functioning wavetable and just mix them together.

Reply 4 of 10, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I have several in my "collection", trying to decide which to use now that I'm finalizing builds. I do have a CT2230, wich CSP even. I thought the only downside was the type-2 hanging note bug, but then read about the clicks/pops too, and thought oh no....

Also have a CT3670, but that will be for my P1 233MMX build. Seems really nice except for no real OPL, which is another reason to ask about a second real OPL card.

I am able to buy now a CT-1770, CSP, midi bug free (4.05) and real OPL3, but I read it's super noisy (CT1701) and has clicks/pops bugs too, so put off by that...

Last edited by walterg74 on 2020-07-27, 21:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Under Win98, it's fairly easy to use two sound cards since you can usually configure them to use different resources through Device Manager.

I have a Yamaha YMF724 and an AWE64 Value installed in one of my rigs and they work just fine together. If I want genuine OPL3, all I need to do is to disable the FM synth (CQM) of the AWE64 and set Yamaha to use port 388. Note that you usually need to use "Basic Configuration 004" or something like that in order to manually assign resources.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 7 of 10, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-07-27, 21:52:

Under Win98, it's fairly easy to use two sound cards since you can usually configure them to use different resources through Device Manager.

I have a Yamaha YMF724 and an AWE64 Value installed in one of my rigs and they work just fine together. If I want genuine OPL3, all I need to do is to disable the FM synth (CQM) of the AWE64 and set Yamaha to use port 388. Note that you usually need to use "Basic Configuration 004" or something like that in order to manually assign resources.

That's good for win. Thinking if it's possible for DOS too somehow.

Reply 8 of 10, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
walterg74 wrote on 2020-07-27, 22:15:

[...]

That's good for win. Thinking if it's possible for DOS too somehow.

Of course.

Set the one to 'default' SB A220 I5 (or 7 for earlier builds) D1, set the other to 'alternative' SB A240 I3 (or 7) D0 (or 3). In general I'd suggest using the defaults for the older standard card, so YMF in this case with SBPro2. The only thing they'd share is the AdLib 0x388, which doesn't matter as it's write-only. Music may play from both cards, but you can mute one or the other if that's a problem. Disable MIDI on the SB16 as it's buggy and not needed, disable at least one of the game ports too. Then they'll play nice together.

Reply 10 of 10, by walterg74

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
foil_fresh wrote on 2020-07-28, 02:58:

AWE64+YMF7x4 combo gang 👍

Well I have a CT3670, which is essentially an AWE64 with SIMMs... so, will try that. Not sire which Yamahas I have, but I do have a couple.