VOGONS

Reply 21 of 27, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-07-29, 16:23:

Well I've had some good tantalum caps that failed on me afterwards so not changing them is a risk of having to deal with the same problem with the every other caps (law of series).

Well, if you have a product that blows tantalum caps frequently, it would be wise to go ahead and replace everything. Otherwise, replace the ones that blew and there is a good chance that the rest are perfectly fine. There can easily be dozens of tants on an old motherboard. It really is a big job replacing them all.

Reply 23 of 27, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I won't give up so fast. The smoke might just be yet another tantalum shorted and burnt. It might be true that most of the tantalum caps are bad. Check carefully all the tantalum caps for sign of charring. If doubtful about the PSU, I would measure each voltage rail with a multimeter.

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 25 of 27, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Paul92 wrote on 2020-07-30, 13:05:

Hi all, a sad update,

Unfortunately another capacitor blew, when I powered it on, and I saw smoke elsewhere on the board, and ended up discarding it.

As others said above, there is no reason to discard it just because another capacitor blew up (as I said, it's a common issue), especially since it's a 286 board, which is getting harder to find these days.

Replacing the capacitors on these old boards should be very easy (even for beginners), because they were not using RoHS solder at the time. We're willing to help you fix it.

Reply 26 of 27, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah my 386sx had something like three or four bad caps that blew up before I could get it to run. Just remove all the bad ones until you have no more shorts (by the way it's more scary than dangerous unless there's something flammable around)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 27 of 27, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Paul92 wrote on 2020-07-30, 13:05:

Hi all, a sad update,

Unfortunately another capacitor blew, when I powered it on, and I saw smoke elsewhere on the board, and ended up discarding it.

Hi, I hope you saved the socketed chips, at least.
Some of these are sought after. The 286 CPU is also worth something, I assume.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//