VOGONS

First post, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey all, I recently just built a Socket 7 System with a Pentium MMX 166 and 64mb EDO RAM. I am also using an Adaptec 2940 u/uw PCI SCSI controller for both the 32x CD-ROM (50-pin) and 4.3gb HDD (68-pin). Each of them are properly terminated via jumpers/cable terminator. However, whenever using a Windows 95 boot disk that supports this controller (loads the CD-ROM driver), I cannot read/write to the HDD (for some reason, I can still detect the drive if fdisk was run without the driver loaded). However, this is ONLY the case whenever the drivers ASPI8DOS.SYS and ASPICD.SYS are loaded (not loading them allows the card to properly function). I have configured the controller to use its onboard bios, support Large Hard Disks, and support Int13H extensions. Also, the CD-ROM reads fine whenever the driver is loaded. Any help would be appreciated!

Here is my configuration:

Config.sys:
device=himem.sys /testmem:off
device=ASPI8DOS.SYS
device=ASPICD.SYS /D:MSCD001

Autoexec.bat:
LH A:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

NOTE: The case is exactly as stated in the files.
EDIT: When running Windows 95 Setup from the CD-ROM, it says that "Windows Setup requires 740032 bytes available on your C: Drive."

Reply 1 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Correct way to terminate SCSI stuff is think of the cable as the rule. Anything that ends at each end always get terminated, none in between.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 7, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-28, 18:10:

Correct way to terminate SCSI stuff is think of the cable as the rule. Anything that ends at each end always get terminated, none in between.

Cheers,

Like I said, it has been terminated correctly and the HDD works fine only when the driver is not loaded. Each device is on separate cables (one is 50-pin while the other is 68-pin).

Reply 3 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That means 4 terminations for that. 50 and 68 are on separate buses unless that card is done in such way via one chipset which might be issues. Or trying to share both buses on one chipset which could be another issue.

Best way is find a scsi controller that has 1 chipset per bus or run two controllers, one each for 50 and other 68 (correct way) or advanced controller (back in the day very costly for this reason). Or use a daughter board plugged into device adapter to thunk down to 50 pin and attach 50 pin device on the 68 pin bus through this. Which I have done before with success.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 7, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A known issue with most Win9x setups and SCSI is that you need to FDISK partition and format C: before attempting to install Win9x. Most do this from a BOOT floppy and since you have int13 enabled in BIOS you should not need a driver loaded unless FDISK does not see the full 4GB HD. You can just rem the drivers out. After Partition and format then un-rem them and see what happens.
A few other things to consider: The BIOS of your 2940 may need a newer version of ASPI8DOS.sys than you are using. The HD should be ID0 and CD should be something from ID3 thru ID6 (the card should be ID7). You need to have both the 50pin CD and the 68pin HD terminated, which you said but mixing active and passive termination with one controller is always a bad thing. What BIOS version is on the 2940 ? ADDED: have seen a few times where if the Boot partiton is bigger than 2GB Win95 original throws fits just like DOS does....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 7, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry about the long wait, but after scrapping the idea of Windows 9x due to driver issues, I have decided to go with pure MS/PC DOS. However, this time, I loaded the driver from the HDD itself (booted to the HDD before installing the driver), which made the HDD unreadable after ASPI8DOS.SYS was loaded (not ASPICD.SYS). This still occurred after I disabled EMM386.EXE in the config.sys file. I am really starting to think that this version of the file has some bugs/incompatibilities with my controller. What version of EZ-SCSI would you recommend I use (EZSCSI 3, 4, or another version)? I guess it could always be that the resources are not properly configured with the driver. Thanks!

Reply 6 of 7, by TelamonLivesOn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, so I now tried using an official installer, which didn't work (same symptoms as mentioned in post above). The CD-ROM drive wasn't connected. I also tried to update the SCSI controller bios, but it wouldn't get past the DOS 4gw extender loading and would keep the floppy drive light on constantly, along with corrupting the floppy disk. I tried without any devices attached to the controller, but it made no difference. Oh well, I guess I may never get it to completely work 🙁

Reply 7 of 7, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-07-29, 21:51:

That means 4 terminations for that. 50 and 68 are on separate buses unless that card is done in such way via one chipset which might be issues. Or trying to share both buses on one chipset which could be another issue.

Best way is find a scsi controller that has 1 chipset per bus or run two controllers, one each for 50 and other 68 (correct way) or advanced controller (back in the day very costly for this reason). Or use a daughter board plugged into device adapter to thunk down to 50 pin and attach 50 pin device on the 68 pin bus through this. Which I have done before with success.

Cheers,

You're wrong.
The 2940's have one bus. On a 2940 UW you may use 1 or 2 connectors, but you cannot use the external and the internal 50 and the internal 68 at the same time.
The 2940 U2W is an exception to that rule because it has a SCSI bridge on it. I've written something about it here Extending a SCSI bus with Adaptec AIC-3860Q (2940U2W and more)
Perhaps you mean the 3940's. They have 2 SCSI buses on it behind a PCI to PCI bridge.