VOGONS

First post, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

i give my retro dektop the last cut and like to add some 3dfx to it. As GPU i use a Hercules 64 Stingray with a ARK2000pv and 2MB.
As CPU i used the later 200MHz MMX Sockel7 Pentium. I just want run some 3dfx games of the timeline like Tomb Raider or glquake.
For now i thinking about a classic, the Monster 3d2 voodoo2 board. But i also have a eye on the Hercules Stingray 128/3d dual layer one because i love table solutions. What do you think will be the best for my CPU? A voodoo rush or voodoo2 extension. Im not sure the Rush is 2d good as a ARK2000pv..
Please let me know what you think.

regards
Chris

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 1 of 11, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A Pentium MMX will not have enough processing power to fully drive a Voodoo 2. You will be bottlenecked on performance.

That being said. Its still a bit faster in such a system then a V1 would be + has better video quality. ARK2000 last I remember was a pretty good 2D card so why replace it?

+Vote for the Voodoo 2

Reply 3 of 11, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't use the Rush. Not worth the cost and definitely not a contender for performance or compatibility.

Voodoo 2 will be severely bottlenecked by the MMX 200, for sure, but it will still be a lot faster than a Voodoo 1 in many games, especially GLQuake and Quake 2. Question is if it's worth the asking price. IMO, get one and if you end up feeling that it is overkill, then you can either use it on another system or sell it back again, it doesn't lose its value.
A nice middle-ground might be the Banshee if you can find a PCI model for a decent price. Creative had a model that I've encountered many times and performance should not be that far off a Voodoo2 on such a slow CPU and definitely much faster than a Voodoo1, not to mention you get the benefits of an all-in-one solution with some really nice 2D image quality.

Reply 4 of 11, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have any experience in bottle necking Pentium 200s. Well I had a 233mmx with EDO back in the day and I remember it was about fast enough to run diablo and thats it. I don't think no amounts of getting a stronger GPU will help it. I put a radeon 7500 PCI or something I think in mine and it was still too slow to run anything. It kinda is what it is. A voodoo 2 might allow you to play games, but it might not allow you to get good FPS in those games.

Reply 5 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's because Radeon cards don't perform well with slow CPU and perform even worse without early drivers.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 11, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys! I think i will go than with a voodoo2 to get a small boost about voodoo1.
The voodoo rush was a idea, but ok sounds like not really great swap for my ark2000pv.
A Banshee and above is not really what im looking for.
I just want keep the timeline. I also run on this mashine only dos 6.22 /win 3.11 .

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 7 of 11, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2020-07-28, 16:59:

I don't have any experience in bottle necking Pentium 200s. Well I had a 233mmx with EDO back in the day and I remember it was about fast enough to run diablo and thats it. I don't think no amounts of getting a stronger GPU will help it. I put a radeon 7500 PCI or something I think in mine and it was still too slow to run anything. It kinda is what it is. A voodoo 2 might allow you to play games, but it might not allow you to get good FPS in those games.

Diablo as in Diablo 1? An MMX 233 will make short work of that. If you're talking about Diablo 2 then yeah that struggles as the processor is at the absolute minimum. Also, as has been suggested above, the Radeon card might actually perform worse than a Voodoo 2 in such a system 😁.
You can actually play a lot of games on an MMX and Voodoo2 and they will run pretty well. Unreal might not see a huge leap going from V1 to V2 for example, but other games definitely benefit, GLQuake and Quake 2 are night and day like I mentioned and are fairly playable even today. I've tried it and seen it first hand and in fact other people have and shared their experiences here as well as benchmarks even! I think Phil had a comparison, but can't find the link at the moment.

Jackhead wrote on 2020-07-28, 17:12:
Thanks guys! I think i will go than with a voodoo2 to get a small boost about voodoo1. The voodoo rush was a idea, but ok sound […]
Show full quote

Thanks guys! I think i will go than with a voodoo2 to get a small boost about voodoo1.
The voodoo rush was a idea, but ok sounds like not really great swap for my ark2000pv.
A Banshee and above is not really what im looking for.
I just want keep the timeline. I also run on this mashine only dos 6.22 /win 3.11 .

Banshee only came out a few months after the Voodoo 2 though and in fact can be much slower in anything that does not make use of multi-texturing, while having a slight edge, which you'll probably not see, on games without multitexturing due to the higher clockspeed. If it is a period correct issue, it's still a 1998 card and very much a budget offering compared to the Voodoo2.

No Win9x though? If that's the case, forget the V2 and just grab a V1. There are very few DOS games with 3Dfx support and GLQuake is strictly Windows (okay there's QDOS but performance will be lacking probably, haven't tried it).

Reply 8 of 11, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok because dos i bought me a voodoo1. Hope this will be fine for the handfull of dos 3dfx games. Thanks again guys for your help!

Reply 9 of 11, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

People often think that you should not put voodoo cards in a system when the system is too slow to take fully advantage of the card, but you can also look at it in other way. You can look how much the card improves the system. Putting a voodoo card even in 486 actually does a lot for the system. It makes tomb raider playable for example and I am sure it does the same for some other games. It is just how you think about it. if you think the voodoo card is the important and rest of the system has to be able to see to the needs of the card or if you think how much adding the card improves the system.

Reply 10 of 11, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah i see it just as a addon to my system, i run another desktop with pentium3 1gHz slot1 win98se and a v5500 so its really just to see the improve of the system and ability to run some 3dfx games in dos.

Reply 11 of 11, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jackhead wrote on 2020-07-29, 13:33:

ok because dos i bought me a voodoo1. Hope this will be fine for the handfull of dos 3dfx games. Thanks again guys for your help!

Voodoo1 is the way to go for dos games, good decision. Most of dos glide games will play with a Voodoo2 (there is a thread about it) but it's not worth it in my opinion. Voodoo1 gives better compatibility, you just use the patch/launcher and there's no need to adjust setting with batch files etc. Also regarding performance, all dos games are fine with it.