VOGONS

Reply 20 of 118, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm saying that the driver and card itself doesnt have overhead on the cpu

It does. Late Radeon PCI cards have horrible performance in games which otherwise run fine on PMMX233, but with Voodoo.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 21 of 118, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-07-30, 19:20:

It does. Late Radeon PCI cards have horrible performance in games which otherwise run fine on PMMX233, but with Voodoo.

Yeah but the voodoo is glide and the radeon isnt. Beleive it or not ps1 disks dont work well in an xbox 360 either

Reply 22 of 118, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emosun wrote on 2020-07-30, 19:16:

I'm saying that the driver and card itself doesnt have overhead on the cpu , it's the apps themselves that are running. You have to essentially make a new game that would run on such a weird config. A game that's code can run on a 233mmx but visuals could run on a 9250.

nobody did such a thing because even back in 1998 300+mhz pentium ii and celeron machines became mainstream that already dumpstered that pentium mmx on games from that year, not to mention the pace of hardware releases until 2004, when your 9250 came out... it's not like the pentium mmx platform was a console to have enough relevance that people would invest a lot of time to make stuff run well on it years after launch.

those late PCI versions were office cards first and foremost and seem to be commonly misunderstood on here as poor man's voodoo replacements or such, when the D3D drivers were clearly not written with such old CPUs in mind.

Reply 23 of 118, by emosun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2020-07-30, 19:53:
emosun wrote on 2020-07-30, 19:16:

You have to essentially make a new game that would run on such a weird config. A game that's code can run on a 233mmx but visuals could run on a 9250.

nobody did such a thing

gee you don't say. almost as if we started off talking about driver overhead

obviously a 9250 and a 233 have no real use together , only a handful of apps benefit from it. from a power and hardware standpoint its far better than the voodoo2 , but if the software isnt there then its isn't there.

Whole point of bringing it up was it's a combo of a new gpu and old cpu and doesnt have driver overhead in the 2 things it can actually do.

you'll note I didnt go tell every human being on earth to rush out and use that combo over glide. yeesh. pick your battles guys

Reply 24 of 118, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

its very interesting what you said guys, but could someone answer a few of my previous questions, i quote my previous 4 questions below ? thanks a lot

( by the way i read almost the 10 pages of the pentium pro build. it helps to understand. Voodoo cards cost at least 125$ Canadian in total. i will try my best to find one, but Can the TNT 2 PCI do the job ? is it still too strong ? How is the Picture Quality ? specially the Picture Quality in Dos games vs FX 5200 ? The FX 5200 really give me a wonderful quality in DOS games its impressive. My Matrox mystique looks very bad in dos and my trident is just ok. Love FX 5200 for Dos. Performance is wonderful in dos like PQ.

Note: I could add this question number five. 5. how is the Picture Quality of these cards in Dos: Voodoo3, TnT1,TnT2,Geforce2MX, Savage4? thanks for answers of my questions its REALLY appreciated.)

renejr902 wrote on 2020-07-30, 17:51:
thanks guys for answers. i got a boost of 20% speed in 3d. i found a better less powerful soundcard driver. and i change all se […]
Show full quote

thanks guys for answers. i got a boost of 20% speed in 3d. i found a better less powerful soundcard driver. and i change all setting in nvidia panel for performance and some other tweak. now i can play nfs hot pursuit in medium graphics no car shader in 640x480 , it looks like 20-25 fps. still better than trident 1mb ot matrox mystique 2mb.
About your 1998. in my young age, With my voodoo 1 i think nfs high stakes and porsche unleashed run great like near stable 30fps, was later than 1998. i think my pentium 200 mmx overclocked and voodoo 1 got some games until 2000 really nice. for hot pursuit 2 it was impossible. and after that with my banshee and celeron 400 i got hot pursuit 2 working great, but celeron 400 is much faster.

I have a few questions again, thanks so much !

1. Can i downgrade my 128 mb stick to a 64 mb stick ? my father is a electronic technician and know electronic computer , he could desolder some chips.

bloodem wrote on 2020-07-29, 20:00:
renejr902 wrote on 2020-07-29, 17:23:

can i trick the system or windows to think i have 64mb or less and then dont suffer the performance hit ?

No, this is a chipset limitation, there's no way around it other than downgrading the RAM to 64 MB.

2. If i cant find a Voodoo 2 or banshee , would it be ok to buy a TNT2 instead of TNT1 or Voodoo 3-4-5? and what about a pci Geforce 2 MX or S3(probably not enough strong) or Savage 4 ?

3. Can i use the voodoo 2 with the FX 5200 and have no penalty of performance in 3dfx games ? otherwise i would have to use my trident pci 1mb or buy a banshee or other..

4. Can i overclock my 233 mhx cpu ? to maybe 266mhz or 300mhz. but i dont want my dos games to be affected 😉 . my board can do 400mhz with k6 if i understand well.

Thanks guys for answer ! its really appreciated !
im going right now to read your pentium pro build topic 😀

Reply 25 of 118, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V3's picture quality should be similar to the FX5200, however be aware since it's a Voodoo, it also has the screen filter feature for 3D rendering, which is a subjective part whether you like the dither/edges smeared off or the crispy dithery look.

Nvidia cards before the GeforceFX are known to be blurry but this varies as well. The Matrox Milleniums and after were the best ones for image quality, but as mentioned, has dos game issues.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 118, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On earlier nvidia cards, picture sharpness tends to vary by manufacturer.

If memory serves, ELSA and Diamond were among the best brands in terms of image quality.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 27 of 118, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks for answer guys. I find a ebay deal. otherwise every voodoo is more than 125$ca with shipping cost or 75$ca for tnt.

i could buy a PCI Geforce 2 mx 32mb for 50$-57$canadian.

is it a good idea ?
Would i be 100% sure to not have a overhead driver problem like with my geforce fx 5200 ?
(otherwise i will pass on this. maybe wait several months and find a voodoo card)

What do you think guys ?
(i hope picture quality is similar to fx 5200)

Reply 28 of 118, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To be honest, I would search for Ali chipset motherboard with some AGP slot. Even though ~233 Mhz is still a bit slow for Your purposes.... I have Voodoo2 sticked into K6-II 400 and I think that's perfect... We are speaking about PCI card.... Even for a GF2MX this Pentium is acting as a bootleneck....

Well... I miss 80/90s ... End of story

Reply 29 of 118, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
renejr902 wrote on 2020-07-31, 06:26:
thanks for answer guys. I find a ebay deal. otherwise every voodoo is more than 125$ca with shipping cost or 75$ca for tnt. […]
Show full quote

thanks for answer guys. I find a ebay deal. otherwise every voodoo is more than 125$ca with shipping cost or 75$ca for tnt.

i could buy a PCI Geforce 2 mx 32mb for 50$-57$canadian.

is it a good idea ?
Would i be 100% sure to not have a overhead driver problem like with my geforce fx 5200 ?
(otherwise i will pass on this. maybe wait several months and find a voodoo card)

What do you think guys ?
(i hope picture quality is similar to fx 5200)

This is a very good question and is something that I never got to test (because I don't have any GeForce 2 MX PCI cards). But now that you mentioned it, I could very well test a Pentium MMX on one of my AGP SS7 boards and satisfy my curiosity 😀
I know that early GeForce cards make all the difference in the world on platforms such as SS7 - AMD k6-2/3(+), because in some titles (such as Quake 2) the Hardware Transform (not the Lighting), will alleviate the CPU load. However, this might not be enough for an even older CPU like the Pentium MMX (especially because the GeForce 2 MX will need a newer driver) - so definitely need to test it.
Anyway, if I were you, I'd keep the Voodoo 1, it's period correct and I have a feeling that - at lower resolutions - it would be faster than a GeForce 2 most of the time... not to mention being 100% compatible with all those nice early Glide games.

emosun wrote on 2020-07-30, 19:30:

Yeah but the voodoo is glide and the radeon isnt. Beleive it or not ps1 disks dont work well in an xbox 360 either

No, as I was previously saying, it doesn't have to be Glide. Even a Riva TNT will be much faster than a PCI GeForce FX 5xxx / Radeon 9xxx. This is basically an axiom: newer cards (drivers) will perform worse than older cards (drivers) on such a platform. And we're not talking about small differences. A Riva TNT + Detonator 2.08 can get you ~25 - 30 FPS in Quake 2 on a Pentium MMX. Same card with driver version 7.76 will drop to 15 - 19 FPS. At 25 FPS, Quake 2 is PERFECTLY playable by 1997 standards. At 15 FPS... not so much. Now, if we think in modern terms, even 25 FPS is quite slow, so you might want to go for a SS7 or, even better, a Slot 1 build for a smooth 60+ FPS (100+ FPS for Mendocino/Pentium 2) gameplay experience.

Later Edit: So, yeah, I couldn't help myself 😀. I set up a test platform with one of my spare SS7 boards & Pentium MMX 233 CPUs and I also added an Elsa Gladiac GeForce 2 MX to the mix. This should allow me to use some older drivers (5.xx) and compare the performance with the 7.xx drivers. And since this is a SS7 board, of course I will also test overclocking 😀. Will get back with some results later. For now, some pics:

mmx1.jpg
mmx2.jpg
mmx3.jpg
mmx4.jpg

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 30 of 118, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to add my 2 cents, the CPU is too slow for these games and the GeForceFX with its newer drivers is clobbering it even futher. Of the three games you mentioned, NFS3 is very demanding on CPU (especially the Horizon and View Distance options) to the point where I've seen it struggle on mid Pentium 3 systems, MotoRacer 2 is also pretty demanding especially in comparison to the first one which is fairly light on requirements and Tomb Raider 3 is capped at 30fps regardless, so you're actually right on the money there. There is no way a Pentium 200 with a Voodoo1 ran Need For Speed 3 "perfectly", both the CPU and GPU are just way too slow for this game.

My recommendations:

- Get yourself to 64MB RAM, you are running uncached as has been suggested. I'm not sure if you could desolder some chips from your existing DIMM to make this happen.

- Get another video card, preferably a Voodoo2 or Voodoo Banshee to get the best out of the system. Otherwise, some form of Riva TNT or TNT2M64 on PCI will be ideal, but I think they're hard to find. If you can't find anything like that, then I suppose a GeForce2 MX or MX200 on PCI would be a lot better than FX5200 due to earlier drivers, but still you'd be behind. Not sure about the S3 Savage4, I've had great results on faster systems but not sure how it performs on MMX systems.

- Use old, VXD drivers instead of WDM ones. WDM is the newer driver model introduced with Windows 98, but unfortunately it took a while before it matured into what we have today. VXD drivers are more prone to crashing and BSODs, however with Win98 you should already be accustomed to that xD. With VXD drivers you usually get better performance and compatibility, for example it's always good advice to use VXD drivers with Soundblaster Live! cards, otherwise a lot of games have issues with EAX and it won't sound right.

Reply 31 of 118, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks so much guys for all theses answer. Cant wait to see the result of your test Bloodem. Can you tell me if TNT2 and/or Voodoo3 is ok or not ? i could have a friend deal.. ( i just read your answer about tnt2 being ideal!) But i will probably wait for a Voodoo2, Banshee or Voodoo3 , if you tell me that voodoo 3 is ok ? and last question , About my 128mb ram. How much performance in 3d game in % of fps i can gain if i downgrade to 64 mb? just give me your opinion, i know nobody can be sure.

thanks again for answers.

If i remember correctly in 1998-99 my p200 mmx at 220mhz with voodoo 1 played NFS III very stable at 30 fps min at 800x 600 with most graphics setting at high. About Porsche unleashed maybe it was with my banshee and celeron 400 i dont remember well if i played with my p1 200 and voodoo1.

RIGHT NOW my P1 233mmx with FX 5200 run, no racing games at 640x480 near 30 fps, its more 15-25fps . NFS III at 640x480 most graphics setting at low except 2 of them at medium no car shader and i got i think ( i dont use fps counter right now) around 15-25fps . 25fps when no car around me. 5fps if all cars near me at same time. 15fps when 3 cars around me
( my nvidia setting are all at best performance setting no aa no anisotropic) Porsche unleashed is unplayable its like 5-15fps even in low-medium graphics.

Some tests that i got some strange result.

- If i played NFS iii with a ps4 usb gamepad instead of my gravis gamepad in gameport, my fps cut by half or maybe 1/3 .

- in NFS III 320x240 and 640x480 the fps seems exactly the same, i even think that in run worst in 320x240 LoL!

- For info: Tomb raider 3 and wipeout XL in d3d seems near 20-30fps. Tomb raider play at same fps at 640x480 or 800x600 and even in 1024x768. not a big fps difference thats for sure.
Moto Racer 2 seems to be 15-25fps

Edit: THANKS so much Garret W for your recommendations and Bloodem for your test 😀

( edit2: i will try tommorow to gwt my p1 233mmx at 262 or 290 mhz with 75mhz or 83 mhz jumper, i hope it can do a difference in 3d games, i hope it wont destroy my dos games performance in my 6.22 dos partition 😀

Reply 32 of 118, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still 223MMX is way too weak for voodoo3... I had this card (2000 ver) both on Celeron 466 and Pentium III 800 in the past and believe me - on 800Mhz felt like it wanted moreeeee!

Reply 33 of 118, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
renejr902 wrote on 2020-07-31, 10:32:

Thanks so much guys for all theses answer. Cant wait to see the result of your test Bloodem. Can you tell me if TNT2 and/or Voodoo3 is ok or not ?

For sure it is! I tested a Voodoo 3 myself with the P233MMX. Although it will be severely bottlenecked by the CPU (and it would be best to use it for a faster platform), it will still give you some of the best results that are possible on a Socket 7 platform.

If i remember correctly in 1998-99 my p200 mmx at 220mhz with voodoo 1 played NFS III very stable at 30 fps min at 800x 600 with most graphics setting at high. About Porsche unleashed maybe it was with my banshee and celeron 400 i dont remember well if i played with my p1 200 and voodoo1.

Playing NFS Porsche on a Pentium MMX (with decent framerate) is impossible. I never tested it, but even a K6-2+ CPU struggles with that game, so there's no point in trying.

RIGHT NOW my P1 233mmx with FX 5200 run, no racing games at 640x480 near 30 fps, its more 15-25fps . NFS III at 640x480 most graphics setting at low except 2 of them at medium no car shader and i got i think ( i dont use fps counter right now) around 15-25fps . 25fps when no car around me. 5fps if all cars near me at same time. 15fps when 3 cars around me

Yeah, this is what I would expect with such a video card.

- If i played NFS iii with a ps4 usb gamepad instead of my gravis gamepad in gameport, my fps cut by half or maybe 1/3 .

Hehe, USB and USB polling rate used to be a real problem back in the day. I for one avoid using USB on such ancient platforms.

- in NFS III 320x240 and 640x480 the fps seems exactly the same, i even think that in run worst in 320x240 LoL!

Yes, also normal behavior when dealing with a CPU bottleneck. Performance at all resolutions will basically be the same, because the video card could do much more, but the CPU can't handle AI, physics, input, sound, etc and at the same time feed the required data to the GPU as fast as the GPU would like (this is also valid now, on modern PCs, in 2020 - the GPU does everything related to graphics, but the CPU still has to tell the GPU what to load/do and when to do it, while the task of HOW to do it is the GPU's job - the CPU is more or less a project manager 😀)) ).

So, improvement points:
- get an older graphics card, preferably a Voodoo / Riva TNT (we'll see if GeForce 2 is also an option - although I have my doubts). Whatever you decide to use, the drivers need to be as old as possible.
- don't use any peripherals, especially not those that involve USB in any way. You should only have the CPU, RAM, a video card and a sound card. That's it! OK, OK, you can add an HDD and a Floppy too 😀
- drop the RAM to 64 MB

Still working on the benchmark. It's going a bit slower than I'd like, because I have a busy day at the home office 😀

Last edited by bloodem on 2020-07-31, 11:43. Edited 1 time in total.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155

Reply 34 of 118, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks so much guys for all theses answer. Cant wait to see the result of your test Bloodem. Can you tell me if TNT2 and/or Voodoo3 is ok or not ? i could have a friend deal.. ( i just read your answer about tnt2 being ideal!)

A TNT2 itself will perform basically identically, you'll be completely bottlenecked on the CPU in both cases. The difference is that it will let you use much older drivers that are lighter on the CPU. Which drivers are you using on the FX? Iirc Detonator 44.03 from 2003 was the best choice for FX5200. That's 6 years newer than your system, in a time when 6 years really mattered. By comparison, with a TNT2 you could use Detonator 2.08 from 1999. Just look at the difference in file size (17.96MB vs 1.99MB 😮 )

But i will probably wait for a Voodoo2, Banshee or Voodoo3 , if you tell me that voodoo 3 is ok ?

Voodoo2 would be best - but only if you ditch the FX. Adding Voodoo2 to FX just means twice the CPU load. Voodoo2+Mystique is fine as Mystique drivers are trivial. Voodoo3 is nice, probably comparable to TNT2 for most purposes. Difference is that V3 gives you GLide, where TNT2 gives you 32b colour (which you can't use because no game using 32b would run sensibly on your CPU).

and last question , About my 128mb ram. How much performance in 3d game in % of fps i can gain if i downgrade to 64 mb? just give me your opinion, i know nobody can be sure.

Complicated, as it depends on how much memory you are using. If you run out of memory, Windows starts using hard disk as virtual memory. This is a factor 1000 slower than RAM. If you go over L2 caching limits, your RAM above that is uncached, which is maybe 20% slower depending on what's in that RAM and how it's accessed.

Bottom line is that if you regularly use >64MB, you will have *much* better performance with 128MB, but if you don't ever use more than 64MB, you will have better performance with only 64MB RAM. Overall I hear people quote about 5% impact in games etc.

Now, if you just use the machine for games and don't multitask, you're probably staying well under 64MB. Games that needed more than that wouldn't run on your CPU anyway. So say you win about 5%. Nice, but not enough to make manifestly unplayable stuff playable. Probably ditching that heavy, late nVidia driver would have more impact.

( my nvidia setting are all at best performance setting no aa no anisotropic) Porsche unleashed is unplayable its like 5-15fps even in low-medium graphics.

I was never into racing games, so can't really comment on specifics, but overall picture is clear:
- P200@220MHz (sure you don't mean 225? 3x75MHz makes more sense) was overclocked, so faster anyway.
- higher bus speed really mattered with So7, as cache and RAM also clocked higher.
- Voodoo1 used GLide, which is less CPU-intensive than Direct3D, also much lighter drivers than Gf FXxxxx
- the heavy impact of number of cars, particularly when you say "around me" (so not necessarily in view) suggests that you're bottlenecking heavily on CPU. You need to ditch that Gf FX.

Some tests that i got some strange result.

USB takes CPU time too, and USB 1.0 was slow, so it takes more time to do stuff - costing a lot more CPU. On a modern system this is stuff you don't need to think about, but with this old hardware, every cycle matters.

Very conclusively CPU-limited. Your CPU doesn't care about resolution, it has to do the same physics/game logic calculations regardless, and is failing. Your GPU is so fast it doesn't care whether you're running 320x240, 640x480 or probabyl even higher.

- For info: Tomb raider 3 and wipeout XL in d3d seems near 20-30fps. Tomb raider play at same fps at 640x480 or 800x600 and even in 1024x768. not a big fps difference thats for sure.

Same again, your GPU is massively over-specced, so resultion is irrelevant to performance. Your CPU is the bottleneck.

( edit2: i will try tommorow to gwt my p1 233mmx at 262 or 290 mhz with 75mhz or 83 mhz jumper, i hope it can do a difference in 3d games, i hope it wont destroy my dos games performance in my 6.22 dos partition 😀

If it's stable, it will be faster in DOS too. Be sure to test stability thoroughly at 75MHz before you try 83MHz. Note that biggest risk with this OC isn't CPU but HDD controller. If you run faster than the controller can handle, you'll get massive file corruption on your HDD(s). For that reason I'd recommend using a different OS install to test 83MHz (maybe clone the HDD if you have the tools), so you don't lose all your softwre if it can't handle it.

I'd say there's about a 99% chance the PIIX3 southbridge can handle 75MHz and maybe 66% chance it does 83MHz. I had an Asus P55T2P4 with same i430HX and PIIX3 that happily ran a K62+ at 500MHz (6x83MHz) with 512MB RAM (all cached because Asus did include a second tag RAM option). As for the P233MMX, it depends. Later revisions were massively over-engineered (or rather: artificially capped at 233MHz to avoid eating into P2 sales), so they could reach very high speeds. I'd give 262MHz >99% chance and 290MHz >75% chance. I once ran a late-stepping P200MMX stable at 350MHZ (3.5x100MHz) on a different board, and others went higher still. But as always with overclocking, YMMV. Worst-case you fry your CPU and board, garble your HDD contents and maybe kill the cat too. Realistically, I'd say HDD data corruption is the only significant risk (and that only at 83MHz). If the CPU can't handle it, the system won't boot - but it should be fine if you set the jumper back to stable speeds.

Reply 35 of 118, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im so happy you took so much time to help me guys. Now i know all i have to do.

First thing i will find another gpu. IN that order i will try to get one of these card 1. Banshee 2. Voodoo3 3. TnT 4. Tnt2 5. Voodoo2 6. Geforce 2 MX. ( I hate the matrox mystique in dos and trident is too old, so for now a voodoo 2 is not the best option. but if by miracle i have a deal i will still.buy it and try it with fx 5200 and trident 1mb.)

to be honest i love glide. i want to play need for speed ii SE in glide and many others old games, so my favorite option of voodoo 3dfx card. but they are all expensive if i have to buy them on ebay. i will try to contact some friends and contacts first.

Does Voodoo 2, Banshee and voodoo3 play all very old glide title in 3dfx glide mode like : NFS II + III, Wipeout XL, TombRaider1, Croc, MotoRacer and many more?

i played Quake1 too but not often. i think Quake1 has a glide option, but i prefer doom1+2.

thanks a lot. Cant wait to see your test Bloodem.

EDIT1: If im right the picture Quality in dos will be better with a Banshee and Voodoo3 than Tnt or Tnt2 right ? For me its very important. Mystique PQ is not good at all in dos, trident just ok, but fx5200 has impressed me a lot. by the way i already check the gona.mactar dos videocard compatibility list.

Edit2: My FX5200 driver is version 43.45 and i use directx 8.1

Edit3: i will take my time, i need a better deal than ebay for sure . Best ebay price: Voodoo3 16mb: 157$Canadian with ship included . voodoo3 8mb 125$ but i prefer 16mb. Banshee no one in america! i prefer buy from Canada or USA because of shipping time. But Banshee 108$ from Latvia. Voodoo2 more than 180$+ . Tnt1 78$ TNT2 90$+. too much for a tnt1 because i prefer a voodoo so much. I could buy the geforce 2 mx400 at 57$ on ebay from Canada until i got a voodoo. i will wait the Bloodem result to see if i take a chance to buy this gf2 in hope to have a best result than with my fx 5200. But i will buy a voodoo for sure in a few days if im able or a few months at worst. if i find a tnt at low price i will buy one too. But i need all these cards in PCI , its not easy.

Reply 36 of 118, by Spitz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does Voodoo 2, Banshee and voodoo3 play all very old glide title in 3dfx glide mode like : NFS II + III, Wipeout XL, TombRaider1, Croc, MotoRacer and many more?

As an voodoo2 Diamond II I asure You that it will!

Reply 37 of 118, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so I did the benchmarks, and I was surprised to see that the GeForce 2 is not that bad. The Hardware T (not the L) does make a difference in some titles, while in others... not so much.
Now, since this is a frequent question that myself and other people have, I just went ahead and filmed the benchmarks, quickly created a Youtube channel, and uploaded them. The whole playlist is here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtNWCv … 7tA_2R5Ugti5wyJ
DISCLAIMER: Sorry about the shaky cam, I tried to hold the phone as steady as possible, but it's hard to hold it with one hand and type with the other. Also, don't have the right tools, the time, or the patience to do it more professionally 😀

If you don't want to go through all of the videos, see the results below (well, for NFS Hot Pursuit you must watch the videos, because I was too lazy to install Fraps. In my opinion, the NFS performance was smooth with the overclocked P233 & Voodoo 3, very playable even by today's standards, while the performance with the stock frequency & Riva TNT was the worst - definitely not playable).

Drivers used:
Riva TNT: 2.08
GeForce 2 MX: 5.32
Voodoo 3 3000: 1.07.00

Sound card used: ESS AudioDrive 1869 with Win 95 VXD drivers (you will notice that it seems to have a bug in the GLQuake benchmarks, the sound is squeaky).

The Benchmarks
Pentium MMX 233 & Riva TNT
GLQuake: 49.1 FPS
Quake 2: 23.2 FPS
Expendable: 12.8 FPS
NFS Hot Pursuit - too lazy to install Fraps, check the video, judge for yourself 😀 (make sure to select 1080p 60 FPS)

Pentium MMX 233 & GeForce 2 MX
GLQuake: 60.4 FPS
Quake 2: 31.2 FPS
Expendable: 12.1 FPS
NFS Hot Pursuit - too lazy to install Fraps, check the video, judge for yourself 😀 (make sure to select 1080p 60 FPS)

Pentium MMX 233 & Voodoo 3 3000
GLQuake: 79.3 FPS
Quake 2: 36.0 FPS
Expendable: 12.5 FPS

Pentium MMX 233 OC @ 300 MHz & Voodoo 3 3000
GLQuake: 106.7 FPS
Quake 2: 48.4 FPS
Expendable: 17.7 FPS

Last edited by bloodem on 2020-07-31, 17:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 38 of 118, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thanks a lot ! really cool ! its appreciated ! I just checked NFS videos. I wont buy a TNT for sure. I want a Voodoo 3 now !! voodoo 3 runs it great, im impressed. Runs even better at 300mhz cpu !

I was surprise i dont see the NFS iii video with geforce 2 mx ? did you have it ? could you post it ?
is it similar to riva tnt or worse or better ?

Last edited by renejr902 on 2020-07-31, 17:03. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 39 of 118, by renejr902

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

*** IMPORTANT EDIT: i checked the video again at 1080 60fps. i forgot earlier, it changes everything !!! and Need iii with the Riva TNT is VERY similar to my FX 5200. It not very playable you are right. ***

the first corner where you see all cars, with my fx5200 is a little worse otherwise i have around the same fps than riva tnt i suppose, but i think my graphics settings are lower than yours. i put most of them at low and no car shader.

Im not sure i should buy a Geforce 2 mx, voodoo3 should be much better in need iii i suppose.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-08-11, 21:09. Edited 3 times in total.