VOGONS

First post, by brettp11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all!

You guys have been awesome so far. I need help setting up my Roland MPU-401 and MT-32. I’m using a Low-Tech MIF IPC RevB interface card to connect to my retro 486 DOS PC.

I’m trying to test the hardware to make sure everything works. The MT-32 passes its “test mode” but when I hook up the MPU-401 and MT-32 and try to play a MIDI file through DOS (GSPLAY.EXE or PLAYMID.EXE) I get no sound at all. Nothing comes out the speaker.

Can someone help me?!

Reply 1 of 3, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
brettp11 wrote on 2020-07-31, 22:52:
Hello all! […]
Show full quote

Hello all!

You guys have been awesome so far. I need help setting up my Roland MPU-401 and MT-32. I’m using a Low-Tech MIF IPC RevB interface card to connect to my retro 486 DOS PC.

I’m trying to test the hardware to make sure everything works. The MT-32 passes its “test mode” but when I hook the MPU-401 and try to play a MIDI file through DOS (GSPLAY.EXE or PLAYMID.EXE) I get no sound at all. Nothing comes out the speaker.

Can someone help me?!

Does the MT-32's display react when playing a MIDI file ?

I assume that you either have an MT-32 with headphone jack and are using the said jack or have connected the line-level 1/4″ TS connectors on the back to an amplifier with speakers connected (or amplified speakers) .

EDIT: If no reaction on MT-32's screen, it might seem pretty obvious, but could you have accidentally swapped MIDI in and out connectors ?

Reply 2 of 3, by brettp11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-07-31, 23:18:
Does the MT-32's display react when playing a MIDI file ? […]
Show full quote
brettp11 wrote on 2020-07-31, 22:52:
Hello all! […]
Show full quote

Hello all!

I’m trying to test the hardware to make sure everything works. The MT-32 passes its “test mode” but when I hook the MPU-401 and try to play a MIDI file through DOS (GSPLAY.EXE or PLAYMID.EXE) I get no sound at all. Nothing comes out the speaker.

Can someone help me?!

Does the MT-32's display react when playing a MIDI file ?

I assume that you either have an MT-32 with headphone jack and are using the said jack or have connected the line-level 1/4″ TS connectors on the back to an amplifier with speakers connected (or amplified speakers) .

EDIT: If no reaction on MT-32's screen, it might seem pretty obvious, but could you have accidentally swapped MIDI in and out connectors ?

Yes. Here are the pictures. I have the output going to a Roland MA-12 speaker.

Nothing on the MT-32 screen. It seems like GSPLAY.EXE knows there is a MPU-401 connected because it will play a file. If i disconnect the cable, it will not play the file.

Attachments