VOGONS

First post, by olePigeon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was wondering if anyone else out there has a Microsolutions CompatiCard I card. It's a 4 floppy disk controller.

It would appear that the driver is incompatible with Internal Cache Memory. I have an Intel Overdrive DX4-100 with a Joindata Systems G486SVL motherboard (AMI BIOS) with 256KB of cache installed. When I have the "Internal Cache Memory" enabled in BIOS and I attempt to access a floppy drive connected via my CompatiCard, I get a "DIVIDE OVERFLOW" error, then the machine hangs. When I reboot, I get a "FLOPPY CONTROLLER FAILURE" error.

If I go into BIOS and disable "Internal Cache Memory," everything works fine. I've verified this behavior with someone else that owns a card on an early Pentium machine (unfortunately for them, their BIOS doesn't let them disable the internal cache.)

I tried looking on Google for a solution, but I couldn't find anything. Best I could find was that the CompatiCard IV is incompatible with SMRTDRV 4.0 and to disable caching. Out of curiosity I tried disabling SMRTDRV, but it didn't change anyting.

Normally I wouldn't care, but disabling caching makes the machine run 1/2 as fast. It's really slow.

I'm hoping someone might be aware of a patch for the driver, or maybe 3rd party cache software that will give me back internal caching without having to enable it in BIOS. Preferably a driver patch, as that would help people with newer machines.

Otherwise I'll just have to disable the cache before using my 360k floppy or Gotek. Kind of a pain, but wouldn't mind not having to do that.

Thanks,

oP

Reply 1 of 1, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Like much very old software, it's speed sensitive. Disabling the cache slows your machine down enough to make it compatible. The problem is not intrinsically cache related, your PC is simply too fast.