VOGONS

First post, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought this card on ebay from apress24 ( it's a pro shop ), but even if it "works" some colors are missing. Everything has a kind of grey/blue tint... and I found some physical damages on the back 🙁
Contacted the vendor by email, he first agreed to replace the card, then stopped to respond just trying to waste my time maybe trying to discourage me 😀 I had to open a case to ebay then a paypal dispute and I got refund and kept the card.

Here are some pics, do you guys think this can be fixed ? I've no idea how to change this capacitors as there's no value on them and 1 is missing..

IMG_20200804_094649.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200804_094649.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_20200804_094636.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200804_094636.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
issue 1.jpg
Filename
issue 1.jpg
File size
74.35 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
issue 2.jpg
Filename
issue 2.jpg
File size
67.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
issue 3.jpg
Filename
issue 3.jpg
File size
88.74 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 1 of 6, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently fixed a GeForce 256 DDR which was in a similar state (11 missing or damaged components), and that I also got for free after a refund from an ebay seller.

What I did was grab a similar aged (in this case I grabbed a dead Apple GeForce 2 MX) card and harvested similar physically sized capacitors from similar areas of the board (so if the missing component was a bypass cap on the rear of the GPU, I’d take one from the MX in that area as the voltages involved were likely to be similar), and an inductor for mine from the dead board and put them on the board I was fixing. For missing or damaged resistors I used high-resolution images from VGAMuseum to harvest the correct resistance values from the MX.

Sure there is the possibility that they are the wrong capacitance, but so far so good, and a working card with the wrong components is better than a dead card with missing ones!

Result is a fully working and stable card, and my GeForce 256 DDR was completely dead to begin with, no sign of life! Starting with a semi working card is a much better proposition!

If you aren’t personally capable of working with SMD components (easier with a hot air station, even a cheap one), then perhaps find someone locally who can help!

Reply 3 of 6, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bartx wrote on 2020-08-05, 14:43:

Those physical damages are probably irrelevant. I suggest using a contact cleaner spray in D-Sub connector, usually there is some mess inside those tiny holes.

Sorry but I disagree. It's likely that at least the missing cap is supplying that buck converter either with power or feedback. Without it the card won't ever function correctly.

100% try replacing the damaged and missing components with your best educated guess from similar cards (possibly even look up the datasheet for the buck converter, it might give a clue as to the value of the missing cap). It can't get any worse and is likely to get better.

Reply 4 of 6, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NyLan wrote on 2020-08-04, 08:17:

I bought this card on ebay from apress24 ( it's a pro shop ), but even if it "works" some colors are missing. Everything has a kind of grey/blue tint... and I found some physical damages on the back 🙁
Contacted the vendor by email, he first agreed to replace the card, then stopped to respond just trying to waste my time maybe trying to discourage me 😀 I had to open a case to ebay then a paypal dispute and I got refund and kept the card.

Unfortunately ebay seller apress24 has a history of sending products which are not as described (which translates into their feedback). I've ordered hardware advertised as new several times from them and everytime I got used hardware instead. By the way the seller is now also active on ebay under the name deoptimus. I'm done with them, I just can't trust them anymore.

Reply 5 of 6, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NyLan wrote on 2020-08-04, 08:17:
Here are some pics, do you guys think this can be fixed ? I've no idea how to change this capacitors as there's no value on them […]
Show full quote

Here are some pics, do you guys think this can be fixed ? I've no idea how to change this capacitors as there's no value on them and 1 is missing..

IMG_20200804_094649.jpg
IMG_20200804_094636.jpg
issue 1.jpg
issue 2.jpg
issue 3.jpg

Hi,
I think it can be fixed. I don't understand what a manufacturer is but maybe it doesn't matter. I think it's possible to find similar schematics of MSI or Gigabyte or ASUS . If it may help you I'll try to find something.

P.S. sorry for necroposting: just looking into active topics

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 6 of 6, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I find it curious why they dont, or can't, write values on these caps, when its done for resistors of the same physical size. Maybe I'm missing something.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB