VOGONS

First post, by Riddick48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

as you have read in my previous posts, I had a lot of trouble getting my Gotek to work. The idea at the beginning of everything was to install Ms-Dos 6.22 with the help of a bootable cd-rom, on a pentium where Ms-Dos 5.0 was already installed, because nowadays working with new floppy disks is complicated, and unfortunately mine are all demagnetized.
And then, reading the forums and looking on the net if there was an alternative system, I discovered this emulator, in particular the Gotek. I bought one on this English site (I recommend it, correct prices, fast shipping and excellent after-sales assistance), if I can say it here (thank you gentlemen administrators):

https://www.simulant.uk/shop/index.php? ... arch = gotek,

precisely the model SFRC922C, in beige colour, which arrives already flashed with the latest version of the HxC firmware.
So, after downloading various programs (Ipcas and original Gotek) to prepare the usb pen and after many attempts to insert floppy disk images on a usb key, I turned to Simulant assistance. The person who takes care of the assistance is a very helpful and prepared person, Jonah, he responds immediately and thoroughly, congratulations to him.
In short, he gave me the right directions and advice.
In short, after putting some configuration files on the USB stick, you can directly download the images of the floppy disks in your possession into the stick and insert the stick into the Gotek, he recognizes them immediately and everything works!
However, you must comply with a precise procedure, which I illustrate below:
1) the Gotek must be updated with the last firmware .
2) formatting the key in FAT 32 ,it is very important.
3) create a directory on the key named NN.
4) in this directory, you need to put two files: ff.cfg and img.cfg (I'll explain how to create them later). When you enter the key, the Gotek there he will read and prepare to work, and create another automatically: image_a.cfg.
5) strictly use 1.44 MB images.
So, to create the .cfg files, it's from this site:

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Initial-Setup

It's all explained very well and comprehensively, a big thank you to Kier Frazer.

for FF.img file click here:
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wi ... ation-File

For the img.cfg file, click here:
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wi ... ation-File

You have to copy and paste for each of the files and save them in the NN directory stored on your key, with the help of Windows notepad (in .txt).
Once saved, delete the .txt extension so that only .cfg remains. These are the two files the Gotek will read when you go to insert the key. Gotek itself will automatically create another one and write it to the memory stick in the NN directory.
Personal note: in the file In FF.cfg, in the nav-mode parameter, I chose indexed, I like it, the only precaution is to rename your images in this way:
DSKA0000_disk01.img, DSKA0001_disk2.img, ... for part of the name after DSKA0000_ you can choose freely, e.g. DSKA0001_dos622_1, etc. ....
This procedure works very well and when you insert the key, the Gotek immediately displays 000, and with the two buttons you can navigate in your key.
With this method, you get rid of the dependency of other programs, the only ones I use now are the programs to create the image files.
I have already installed my Ms-Dos 6.22 (finally!) And many other software too. I have tried images in .img or in. ima., and both formats are fine.
I also believe, but this will be proven for some time, that the capacity of the stick has no influence on the functioning of the Gotek, so the bigger are the stick, the more image files you can save, but it is all to be demonstrated.
Excuse me for this long post and I take this opportunity to thank all the friends who have already replied to the previous posts and have given me a hand.
Do not hesitate to write to me if you have any doubts, I will be happy to share my experience with you and, as far as possible, to help you.

Regards, Antonio