VOGONS

First post, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I dug out my old Shuttle HOT-555 board with a Pentium 166. Its fan has become a jet engine. OK maybe not but it's at least as loud as a jet engine 😂. I tried lifting the center portion of the sticker and added a few drops of lubricant. It's now half as loud but still sounds very loud. Any way to fix this? I guess this type of fan would be very hard to come by, so any chance the HSF is removable?

IMG_20200808_165636.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200808_165636.jpg
File size
1.97 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 1 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kalohimal wrote on 2020-08-08, 09:09:

Today I dug out my old Shuttle HOT-555 board with a Pentium 166. Its fan has become a jet engine. OK maybe not but it's at least as loud as a jet engine 😂.

I see two ways to deal with the problem: Either you unscrew the fan from the heatsink and disassemble it by removing the retaining ring from the axle, clean the axle and the bearing, and re-lubricate it, or you remove the heatsink from the processor. It is glued on, so I expect heating it up to around 100°C should soften the glue enough to be able to remove the heatsink (unscrew the fan first in this scenario, too). If the old heatsink is removed, you can install any kind of socket 5/7 cooler on that processor/mainboard.

Reply 2 of 4, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Certainly with graphics cards I find that freezing the card helps with epoxied on heatsinks better than heat does. You'd even hope/expect this to be the case as otherwise the heatsink would become less effectively attached to the CPU as the temperature rose!

Reply 3 of 4, by kalohimal

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Think I'll probably not remove the HSF as I'm rather afraid of damaging the CPU. Will probably go the route where mkarcher suggested to remove the retaining ring and clean the exle bearing. But the ring looks difficult to get off. Will there be any household tools and/or methods that could remove it effectively?

Slow down your CPU with CPUSPD for DOS retro gaming.

Reply 4 of 4, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kalohimal wrote on 2020-08-08, 15:50:

Think I'll probably not remove the HSF as I'm rather afraid of damaging the CPU. Will probably go the route where mkarcher suggested to remove the retaining ring and clean the exle bearing. But the ring looks difficult to get off. Will there be any household tools and/or methods that could remove it effectively?

I usually try to lever it off with a small screwdriver. This might bend the ring too much (so that you can't easily reattach it or it breaks) or you might cause scratch marks when you slip, so don't use this technique on equipment you try to keep in mint condition. On that cooler, I personally wouldn't mind the risk.