VOGONS

First post, by Moogle!

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ugh, I am really starting to not enjoy this hobby. I realize this stuff is old. Much of what I own is 25-35 years old. I realize stuff will begin to fail with time, but goddamn, it seems that over the last 12-18 months I have had a massive upswing in hardware failure. Is it just me, or has anyone else had more failures than usual?

Reply 1 of 9, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had very few failures, but my boards are from 1999 and newer, video and sound cards from 1996 and newer. I did save a few boards by replacing electrolytic caps, and managed to cobble together one working gf4 ti4200 from two dead ones by painstakingly soldering the tiny smd components. It helps if you can solder.

But the longer I tinker with old hardware, the more appealing emulation starts to look. Especially Dosbox and Glide wrappers. If in 5 years my old hardware starts dying, I probably will not spend the time and money replacing it.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 2 of 9, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Plenty, because that's what I'm looking for. Repairing faulty hardware is my hobby in the hobby!
But I see your point, it's frustrating when you spend money on something that doesn't work or fails quickly.
Luckily most of these failures are fixable if you are willing to get your hands dirty.

Reply 3 of 9, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not so much complete failures but I have been getting annoyed with imperfect parts. So many of my motherboards have some sort of issue that doesn't break them but means they aren't 100%. (Ports not working, RTCs losing time because of weaker external batteries etc..)

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 4 of 9, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess I've been pretty fortunate in this regard. So far, all I had was a bunch of hard drive failures either due to getting bad sectors or simply from wear and tear.

Also, my 17" Samsung CRT had lost the ability to display the color red, but thankfully, a service technician was able to repair it. It was just due to some solder joins going bad with time, and reflowing them fixed the issue completely.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 9, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same here OP. I've had over 12 boards fail in the course of 18 months. I've started to replace capacitors (all of them) and in some cases MOSFETS on boards I use (or plant to use) frequently, I'm hoping that will prevent failures. I've also purchased anti static bags for all my stored hardware.

Reply 7 of 9, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find failures come and go in waves for me. Usually leads to a paradigm shift in my entire collection of PC's really.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 8 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like to stockpile some spares spares for anything rare/expensive or getting there . I only have 1 actual "finished" DOS/Windows 9x retro machine, 1 testbed DOS/Windows 9x retro machine, 1 XP retro machine (currently in storage) and 1 Windows 7 "retro" machine .

I have spare mainboards for all of them, spare video cards for all of them and spare sound cards for most of them .

I am a hoarder, I admit it .

Reply 9 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This year I've lost
My very first PC, suspect the original Dallas RTC has given up after 25 years as it didn't like been unplugged for extended periods of time.
Prolient 1600, Suspect caps as wouldn't always powe on on at first button press for while now.
ML350 G5, failed VRM (of course it's the one on the M/B not the socket one)
Asus P2B-DS, Failed SCSI drive for a while but now doesn't post. Haven't Investigated at all yet
Asus P4P800, Corrupt BIOS. Recovery disk doesn't work.
And just last week my POD83 HDD failed, again it's been struggling for a while now.

So some of these have been trying to tell me for a while now they aren't happy but this year seems to be pretty bad. Normally I may just get a failed HDD, stick of RAM or whatever in a year in 1 system