VOGONS

Reply 160 of 167, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote on 2020-10-28, 12:24:

The proper way to put it is that 3Dlabs GLiNT chip was supported by RenderMorphics! So, from what it sounds like it was for the original GLiNT - the 300SX, with the right driver.

Page 16 of this magazine has a great article about the GLiNT 300SX, and mentions RenderMorphics support and shows screenshots:
https://retrocdn.net/images/6/69/Edge_UK_015.pdf

Very interesting article for sure, first time I've seen that one!

I agree with you that it was for the 300SX and we can just keep an eye out for that driver to turn up at some point in the future.

I also had a look at Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat which Stiletto mentioned as another RL game. It has the same RMORPH directory/file structure as Cyberspeed. If what you say is true that copying over the Gigi.dll files would enable support that means that this game could also potentially be accelerated if we got hold of the driver.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 161 of 167, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote on 2020-10-28, 14:53:

I also had a look at Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat which Stiletto mentioned as another RL game. It has the same RMORPH directory/file structure as Cyberspeed. If what you say is true that copying over the Gigi.dll files would enable support that means that this game could also potentially be accelerated if we got hold of the driver.

There may be more, that list of Reality Lab games (Re: 3D Accelerated Games List (non-3Dfx proprietary APIs)) is not believed by me to be complete. It's mostly what came up with an Internet search for some Reality Lab filenames.

furan wrote on 2020-10-28, 07:53:

Thanks for these!! Will happily take the rest when you've the time. I forwarded these onto vlask of VGAMuseum just now, and MAMEdev now has a copy for future emulation. I also pinged Bitsavers.org but we'll have to see, he tends to focus on things he scans rather than unedited originals. 😀

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-10-28, 20:11. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 162 of 167, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-28, 17:39:

Will happily take the rest when you've the time.

I had not offered them yet 😀 - I need to see if he's okay with me giving them out - some of them are for unreleased chips during their last days.

Reply 163 of 167, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
furan wrote on 2020-10-28, 09:22:

disassembling the CyberSpeed GLINT drivers, they make ExtEscape calls

Yeah, great job furan!

furan wrote on 2020-10-28, 10:43:

Note that I linked a beta 0.98 driver on my Dropbox earlier in the thread 😀 It's from the DirectX 2.0/3.0 CDs. It doesn't have an escape handler for 0x3D3D, and unfortunately this 1.0 driver you linked does not have it either.

Version numbers can misleading, I think too that the 1.0 is the oldest. The release doc of the beta 0.98 driver has a creation timestamp "1996-Mar-04 12:08".
And the beta 0.98 is 3Dlabs version number but the other three are Creative Labs.
Here are by time (latest file date in the driver files):

date    |    company    |     DISK ID     |  Version   | DRV  | VXD  | note
1995-Nov-01 | Creative Labs | 3D-95STD-1-US | 01.00.00 | 1.03 | 1.10 | CGL
1996-Mar-06 | Creative Labs | 3D-95STD-3-US | 1.11 | 1.10 | 1.13 | CGL
1996-Jun-09 | 3Dlabs | | 0.98 beta | 0.98 | 0.98 | DirectX; D3D
1997-Apr-09 | Creative Labs | C3DB-95UPD-1-US | 1.20 | 1.20 | 1.20 | CGL; DirectX; D3D

It seems the oldest one also have no ExtEscape calls, GiGi DLL-s not in use.
I have tried VxD calls with all of the 4 drivers by linked-in-binary CGL 1.61, the oldest freezes while card has found, the other three are not freeze, 3Dlabs 0.98 beta has problems, the other two are works.
I try to make some DirectX 2 D3D tests.

Last edited by Gona on 2020-10-31, 09:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Videocard compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 164 of 167, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote on 2020-10-29, 07:16:
Yeah, great job furan! <snip> It seems the oldest one also have no ExtEscape calls, GiGi DLL-s not in use. I have tried VxD call […]
Show full quote

Yeah, great job furan!
<snip>
It seems the oldest one also have no ExtEscape calls, GiGi DLL-s not in use.
I have tried VxD calls with all of the 4 drivers by linked-in-binary CGL 1.61, the oldest freezes while card has found, the other three are not freeze, but there is no signal to the monitor...
I try to make some DirectX 2 D3D test with 0.98 beta driver.

Thanks. Note that the driver won't be making ExtEscape calls - it'll either have a CONTROL handler or DrvEscape handler to handle the ExtEscape calls.

Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-28, 17:39:

Thanks for these!! Will happily take the rest when you've the time. I forwarded these onto vlask of VGAMuseum just now, and MAMEdev now has a copy for future emulation.

I wanted to get permission first. I got permission. I think it's good for this stuff to be archived but please let me know if you're going to do stuff like that. 😀

Shared folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gqdg6aqyprx7x8o/AA … 9c61duq-Va?dl=0
Download:https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gqdg6aqyprx7x8o/AA … 9c61duq-Va?dl=1

You have the president of The Khronos Group’s permission to share these. I never expected him to respond to my email but he did. 😀

Last edited by furan on 2020-10-31, 19:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 165 of 167, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote on 2020-10-29, 07:16:

I have tried VxD calls with all of the 4 drivers by linked-in-binary CGL 1.61 ... no signal

Aldhough I have used a CRT monitor on the 3D Blaster VLB, that monitor not likes the signal and do this without any message this is why was blank. I have retested the 3 late driver on another monitor and all gives picture. The 3Dlabs 0.98 was unplayable, but the Creative 1.11 and 1.20 versions are works with CGL.

Videocard compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 166 of 167, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gona wrote:

Aldhough I have used a CRT monitor on the 3D Blaster VLB, that monitor not likes the signal and do this without any message this is why was blank. I have retested the 3 late driver on another monitor and all gives picture. The 3Dlabs 0.98 was unplayable, but the Creative 1.11 and 1.20 versions are works with CGL.

Awesome!