VOGONS

First post, by Riddick48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

I have a pci card with serial port (PCI-200 LP) that I would like to configure as COM2. On the motherboard (Asrock K7S41GX) there is already a COM1, and the bios recognizes it.
The COM2 card is not seen by the bios.
My question is this: is need its drivers to be recognized?
And if yes, where can I find the drivers?
The operating system installed is Ms-Dos 6.22, the processor is an AMD Athlon XP, 1259 Mhz clock.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Good day, everyone.

Antonio.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It appears this is your card: http://www.vscom.de/vscom-200l-upci-low-profile.html
There is no DOS driver, -however- if you read the Linux section of the manual, it gives enough information that I think we could tell you how to make it work in DOS.
Can you run PCICFG * from http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~ralf/pub-files/rbpci119.zip and post the section for your card (which appears to be Vendor 14d2, Device 8020 in the manual). I just tried this program and it does take 30 seconds or so to run.
Then, we can give you a DEBUG command to write the i/o port to your machine's BIOS Data Area where software like MSD can recognize it.
Ideally, you would write a DOS program to pull that info out of the PCI BIOS on every boot as it is allowed to change as you add/remove cards.

And what are you using the serial port for? If it uses interrupts we need to make sure it lets you change the IRQ from 3.

Reply 2 of 2, by Riddick48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
thank you for your answer.
I will now download the link file and try it.
I need com2 to connect an AEA modem, the PK232 Mailbox, which I would like to put back into operation. It was connected in an old pc, the Olivetti M300-05, when I bought it (in the last century...hi) it already had an ISA card inside, configured as com2. Unfortunately it had a fault in the motherboard and it's unrecoverable. Unfortunately the ISA card is not compatible with PCI slots, that's why I bought this card.

Thanks for your help,
best regards,
Antonio.