VOGONS

First post, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently picked up this board which was in very bad condition, it's still dirty after I've used half a can of solvent on it 😀

Anyway, there's some damage up near the Y2/U18B area but it is still able to power on.
I get a blinking cursor but no VBIOS/BIOS messages.
The cursor/screen looks like it's in a 40 column mode (large cursor).
I'm trying to see what settings the DIP might need or any other jumpers but cannot find any sort of schematic.

Markings:
Chipset - TACT82301/2/3 PB Texas Instruments 3 chip solution
065-3.3-0789
8H-30513
OPC 94V0 1298M1 01-90 (on underside)

My google searches found a similar board made by "ComTec" but no other ID or model markings
Google search: http://mail.lipsia.de/~enigma/neu/pics/mainboard_286.jpg

Attachments

• unnamed3.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed3.jpg
    File size
    914.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • unnamed2.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed2.jpg
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • unnamed.jpg
    Filename
    unnamed.jpg
    File size
    1.77 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

YT: https://www.youtube.com/@techdistractions

Reply 1 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe there are more infos in the bios ?
Do you have anything that could be used to dump it ? (even a pentium era motherboard could do the trick with uniflash !)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 12, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a 286 with the same chipset. I guess I could dump the BIOS? However my guess is that there is already a dump in the thread on 286 BIOSes.

Or here: http://chukaev.ru54.com/bios_en.htm

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 4 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well while dumping your 286 could be useful to someone owning the same board as you, unless your board is identical to his, it's not going to help a lot to identify it ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 5 of 12, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I thought he was not only trying to identify this board, but also get it running. Should have read the thread in more detail. I was assuming a broken BIOS due to the fact that he gets no BIOS messages.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 6 of 12, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, well I think that's what he wants too 😁. I'm sorry

A POST card could help a lot in this case since there seem to be some activity there

Reply 8 of 12, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-08-11, 14:35:

You could try using the jumper settings from the other board you found on the internet. Yours seems to have the DIP switches set in the opposite order compared to the internet photo.

Thanks, I did and it made no difference - I even tried to use DIP based on similar looking boards (an extreme long shot, but eh.. )

I am just stumped as to why I get the blinking cursor but absolutely nothing else, no beeps, no attempt to seek anything.. and it happens almost instantaneously

Reply 9 of 12, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
4xtx wrote on 2020-08-12, 14:28:

I am just stumped as to why I get the blinking cursor but absolutely nothing else, no beeps, no attempt to seek anything.. and it happens almost instantaneously

Try to power on the board without any VGA card or memory chips installed. It should beep at you.

If it doesn't, then something else is wrong with it. I see some corrosion near that "burned" crystal / memory socket.

Reply 10 of 12, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, corrosion looks quite bad, up to the smaller crystal (Y3) and towards the switch block. Could be worse under the RAM sockets, do you have the tools to desolder them?

I have a (still non-working) board with the same chipset, it beeps at me when powered on without RAM, but doesn't do much else when RAM is installed.

Reply 11 of 12, by 4xtx

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
quicknick wrote on 2020-08-12, 21:43:

Yeah, corrosion looks quite bad, up to the smaller crystal (Y3) and towards the switch block. Could be worse under the RAM sockets, do you have the tools to desolder them?

I have a (still non-working) board with the same chipset, it beeps at me when powered on without RAM, but doesn't do much else when RAM is installed.

RAM sockets are actually pretty good - but yeah the Y3 area is in bad shape 🙁

Reply 12 of 12, by Overload1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

One thing to note is the board is clocked at 12MHz (48MHz/4) and the CPU is 10MHz, not sure if this would cause a problem. Is the CPU abnormally hot?

In 286 machines the keyboard controller is used to reset the CPU, normally the CPU is reset multiple times during boot to get it out of protected mode. If the CPU is stuck in protected mode this can cause it to crash. Check the keyboard controller, make sure none of the legs are bent and that it is seated well in the socket.

It must be executing some code from ROM as the video card will not automatically set a cursor on screen. Did you try the video card in all the slots including the 8-bit slot?
Do you have another ISA video card that is more 286 friendly?

The following ebay listing has a board with the same chipset, says they tried 5 different video cards before they found one that worked.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motherboard-286-Delt … D-/133287208586
Listed as a Delta Technologies board it has a similar serial on it '050-4.1-1288'. Model 050? version 4.1? date code 12/88