VOGONS

First post, by Vaudane

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Trying to get a spec-list for my "ultimate year 2000 birthday" build as a distraction from all this covid and working-from-home rubbish. I'm basing it off the build shown here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EipIq8nnwas

One thing I'm struggling with is I'd like a single platter main boot drive similar to him, but I see the drive he uses is from 2003. This isn't easy information to find and I never really did any hardware shopping when I was actually that age. Is there any good single-platter drives I could be on the look out for? I don't mind whether it's IDE or SCSI as I haven't decided what interface I'm going to use yet.

Reply 1 of 2, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If was 1 head thing, this will slow you down so much. Hunt for 1 platter with two heads, takes some googling on the models. Include specifications in the google search text string.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 2 of 2, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Certain Quantum Bigfoot models are single-platter, and indeed they are sluggish.

Interestingly, those Seagate Decathlon (ST-5****A) 3.5" slim-line drives usually aren't single-platter, with the exception of ST-5540A.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść no moja górę, lecz i w tym, ze ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.