VOGONS

First post, by Klw2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never run into this before. I have a Micron VL486SX 486 desktop that has been failing to boot for the past few days and normally it freezes during Win 95 startup. I haven't found anything wrong while booting in safe mode, but now I get this error. Was trying to look into the BIOS but can't find the correct key/keys yet.

I'm wondering if I might have a component starting to fail or that has failed.....

Reply 1 of 3, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Klw2 wrote on 2020-08-14, 11:24:

Never run into this before. I have a Micron VL486SX 486 desktop that has been failing to boot for the past few days and normally it freezes during Win 95 startup. I haven't found anything wrong while booting in safe mode, but now I get this error. Was trying to look into the BIOS but can't find the correct key/keys yet.

I'm wondering if I might have a component starting to fail or that has failed.....

"Memory Tests Terminated by Keystroke" is not supposed to be an error message. It's just telling you that you pressed a key (trying to enter setup) while the memory test was running, and the computer stopped the memory test, assuming you are in a hurry and want to boot without a full memory test.

I can't tell why your board doesn't boot, but I don't think the message "Memory Tests Terminated by Keystroke" is going to help you find the problem - that is, if you pressed a key during memory test. If you did not press any key during boot and still receive this message, check the keyboard, the keyboard connection and the keyboard controller.

Reply 2 of 3, by Klw2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks! I didn't press a key, it booted again normally once and then the next time, it froze loading windows. Seems to be arbitrary as to when it acts up, although most of the time.

Reply 3 of 3, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would be curious what your experience is replacing the keyboard, or better yet, disconnecting the keyboard. It might help you to narrow down the cause of the issue. I can't imagine a stuck key would cause Windows to hang on boot, but then again, back in the day, looking at your computer strange could cause Windows to hang on boot. 😀