VOGONS

First post, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would love to see macro high resolution heatsink metal clip for 486.

Clipped on the CPU and clip by itself photos are helpful, I have been looking for these for ages and have no luck.

Wanted to make these but not having one is hard to understand how hooks looks like.

Thanks and cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1 of 4, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have it with me to get you a better picture, but I uploaded a picture of a socket 3 heatsink on this thread including the underside. Can anyone recommend a cooling solution from Amazon for an AMD 5x86?
That's what you're looking for, right?

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not all socket 3 have same tabs. The most common Soc 3 is offset big tabs but have seen some w/o tabs and some with small tabs. The hold down for offset big tabs is a wire not a typical clip, similar to this picture but smaller. I do not have one but then again most 486 heatsink are using "grabbers" like in jakethompson1 link. The overall length needs be 62mm with near perfect right angles. added: the dimensions in last pic are the size needed, not the clip size I used as example. Not sure if this helps but added a new picture, and no cannot 3D image the original one...

Attachments

• sock3_clip.jpg
    Filename
    sock3_clip.jpg
    File size
    762.3 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_1269s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_1269s.jpg
    File size
    37.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

486 sockets have the ledges for this wire Z-clip retainer is occasionally found and I don't have this in my compaq processor boards, that's main problem.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 4 of 4, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's this cross type one. The heatsink for it is (obviously) right below, and yes, "surprisingly" it is OEM equipment for this system on a card. It does come with thermal paste.

fqT5J8d.jpg?1

There's also ones that only clip on one axis.

Unfortunately I don't have better pictures of that one. The hooks are just simple rounded metal strips that bend inward slightly. The whole assemblage flexes. You slip the hook under one side, and push down hard on the other, hoping you don't break the ceramic, until it pushes past the ridge of the chip on the other side and gets stuck.

Actually, on this particular design it's quite hard to push in without a screwdriver, and there's no place for a screwdriver to hook, so you'll have a screwdriver at high tension pushing this flexing metal strap down, hoping you don't slip and stab your motherboard to death...