VOGONS

First post, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have been trying to get a 5.25 floppy drive working on a 486 PC and am not sure if there is an issue with the drive (possibly not finding track 0). The drive appears to be a 1.2MB drive as selecting 360k in the BIOS gives a mismatch error.

For context, the setup is:
* 1.44MB 3.5" drive as drive A (after the twist)
* 1.2MB 5.25" drive as drive B (before the twist) <-The drive this thread is about

I have tried multiple combinations of switching between MM/MS, DS0/DS1/DS2 (DS1 appears to be the correct one to use from my research)

What does the drive do:
* The head seeks at boot, drive A seeks, then this drive seeks (as expected)
* When trying to access B: from DOS the light comes on, the head judders a tiny amount then DOS shows an error.
* I did notice that if the drive didn't always park the head back at the start but this seems to be parking in the correct place now (maybe the LED/sensor is dead)
* When a disk is inserted, the drive spins up
* I've done the usual head clean, clean and re-lube rails etc...

These are the jumper settings I have
525jumpers1.png
525jumpers2.png

What would your recommendations be?

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot
A nostalgic pile of laptops from the late 80's to late 90s.

Reply 1 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What make and model is that 5.25" floppy ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 5, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Horun,

It would appear to be a Mitsubishi MF504C-318 UG . The motor has a label on it for Mitsubishi U288Y073 as well as JVC AA01JF, the PCB on the top has the code MDK 3IIV-O.

Hopefully that is helpful.

Jim

Gaming rig: Dell Dimension XPS T500 - PIII 500 - 288MB RAM - Voodoo3 3000 - SoundBlaster Live! Value - DVD-ROM - CD-RW - 3.5" 1.44 - 98SE & 2000 dual boot

Reply 3 of 5, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the manual for it plus a jumper layout picture for hookup to standard AT class computers. It appears yours has IU jumped which the default is open.

Attachments

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 5, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've never changed jumpers on a floppy in my life.

I read the descriptions for the jumpers and I don't even know what any of them mean. "Drive select?" "1MB?" "Standard ready signal?" "Motor start with motor on?"
What the hell?

Reply 5 of 5, by thevdm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the manual and image Horun, I have tried the drive with the IU jumper removed, then also with the TD and terminator resistor pack removed in case that's not required with the 3.5" floppy drive that's installed too. Unfortunately still no joy. On closer inspection there appears to be a ceramic capacitor with a chunk broken off, following the traces it goes to the connector that goes to the heads - I wonder if this is stopping the heads from being able to read anything. Looks like I might have to do some recapping on the drive.

The error that comes up in DOS is the "Disk not ready" one which implies it's not detecting the disk, although when I put a disk in the drive the motor spins up implying that it can detect that something is there.

kwh - The more modern 5.25 floppy drives are much more simple, just plug it in and go, if the prices weren't so ridiculous on ebay I'd buy one of them.