VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-23, 23:21:

Ok, so I have the gameport version of the CH Pedals. You plug the joystick into the pedal cable and then plug the pedal cable into the gameport.

The gameport version of the CH Pro Pedals (what you probably want IF you want the CH brand) also uses the same type of setup but looks like you also need a second gameport (maybe) as it has another cable coming off of it labeled "AUX port". Or maybe that is only needed if you are using a gameport that only supports 2-axis 2-buttons per port?

Also... the Joystick should plug into the throttle, then the throttle to the pedals, and then the pedals into the gameport.

because I just played around with them yesterday, for flying planes you'd probably want both gameports on the pedals if you want to use the brakes as they seem to be on the second connector, so the aux cable of the pedal is looped around into it's own extension (that's how I received them) and if you unplug it the brakes will stop working, so if you don't need brakes you could plug a joystick in there instead... but I guess the whole point of this setup is to get the full experience ^^ so no, no extra gameport on there but still only needs one in total.
normal game port only 2 joysticks with 2 axes each, so as the rudders have 3 they need to use both connections on a single gameport.

...that sentence was a mess, I hope that was understandable ^^

I hope this makes it more clear...

chpedals.jpg
Filename
chpedals.jpg
File size
173.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

but yeah, I'd be interested in how to fully set up all of them in detail ^^
I only recently got the Force FX so I now have all parts basically.

Reply 21 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Great ! Based on: "four paddle controllers", can see the joystick as 2, the pedals as 1, the throttle as 1, based on Analog tech. The brakes could be mapped thru switch or keyboard.
I remember a friend having some good CHS gear (joystick+pedals) back decades ago and they were daisy chained to one Gameport as you said. He was messing with some version of MS Flight Sim and really enjoyed it.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 22 of 24, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ok, so I have the gameport version of the CH Pedals. You plug the joystick into the pedal cable and then plug the pedal cable in […]
Show full quote
Der Kuenringer wrote on 2020-08-23, 21:07:

I have a CH Force Fx & Pro Throttle so far (both Gameport). I don't have the pedals yet. Still looking for either NOS CH pedals, or a used Simped.

Ok, so I have the gameport version of the CH Pedals. You plug the joystick into the pedal cable and then plug the pedal cable into the gameport.

The gameport version of the CH Pro Pedals (what you probably want IF you want the CH brand) also uses the same type of setup but looks like you also need a second gameport (maybe) as it has another cable coming off of it labeled "AUX port". Or maybe that is only needed if you are using a gameport that only supports 2-axis 2-buttons per port?

Also... the Joystick should plug into the throttle, then the throttle to the pedals, and then the pedals into the gameport.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=475

The drivers for the CH products are also available on vogonsdrivers.com.
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=25,24
http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?file … menustate=25,24

After thinking about it a bit, I do not think that adding a PCI sound card to give yourself a second gameport is going to work unless you can change the address of one of the gameports.

The Thrustmater HOTAS + Pedals setup uses 1 gameport, the keyboard port and optionally the mouse port... depending on the throttle you have. Everything daisy-chains together. I Think you could use the Thrustmaster throttle and pedals along with whatever joystick you wanted though it would be trial and error to find the button assignments for the joystick in the Thustmaster programming software.

Many thanks for all that information! I haven't unboxed the Gameport CH Pro Throttle yet, and wasn't aware that the Joystick plugs into it. I have the USB version of that throttle as well, and based on that one I just assumed that they are all standalone devices. Makes sense though - the Gameport version of the Pro Throttle lacks the analog ministick that the USB one has, so it's only a single axis device.

cyclone3d wrote on 2020-08-23, 22:56:

Yeah, they definitely could have existed. My guess is that there just wasn't enough demand for them as everything was moving over to USB around that time.

The other thing that may have something to do with it is that some gameport devices have issues with faster computers.

I had gotten a used Saitek X35/X36 HOTAS setup that was the older gameport version. It wouldn't work at all on the system I had at the time. I contacted Saitek and they told me that it was because the gameport version wouldn't work on faster systems. They had me send it in and they replaced it with the USB version for free.

My thinking was that a dedicated Gamecard might also remediate speed related issues commonly associated with Gameports, up to a point at least (CH advertized it's card as fixing those with machines up to 200Mhz).

Reply 23 of 24, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-08-23, 23:27:

Doesn't the CH Force FX use both a Game Port and a Serial port ? All those buttons should be re-mappable to keyboard keys but not sure if that can be done in DOS..

Indeed, it uses both a Gameport and a 9-pin serial.

Horun wrote on 2020-08-24, 01:40:

The brakes could be mapped thru switch or keyboard.

But then you'd loose the additional analog inputs, which I would like to avoid.

Reply 24 of 24, by Der Kuenringer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-08-23, 23:49:
because I just played around with them yesterday, for flying planes you'd probably want both gameports on the pedals if you want […]
Show full quote

because I just played around with them yesterday, for flying planes you'd probably want both gameports on the pedals if you want to use the brakes as they seem to be on the second connector, so the aux cable of the pedal is looped around into it's own extension (that's how I received them) and if you unplug it the brakes will stop working, so if you don't need brakes you could plug a joystick in there instead... but I guess the whole point of this setup is to get the full experience ^^ so no, no extra gameport on there but still only needs one in total.
normal game port only 2 joysticks with 2 axes each, so as the rudders have 3 they need to use both connections on a single gameport.

...that sentence was a mess, I hope that was understandable ^^

I hope this makes it more clear...
chpedals.jpg

but yeah, I'd be interested in how to fully set up all of them in detail ^^
I only recently got the Force FX so I now have all parts basically.

I get the feeling that there is no way around getting a Gamecard, especially if I want to retain analog on all axes. I'd like to use these devices with a few space sims of the Win9x era as well, and I imagine the additional analog inputs would come in handy for those.